Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Wanderer Returns

I’m back from Canada.
I had a fucking blast! I’m in love with Vancouver.
I am not in love with jetlag.
I went to bed at 3 in the afternoon, got up for a curry at 5, went back to bed.
Got up at 10.25pm, had drop more curry and went back at 1.30am.
Got up at 5am, wanting a beer and went back at 8.30am.
Got up for the last time at 3.15 this afternoon.

A few tips for Vancouver bound travellers.

Expect to be killed/maimed/injured or just downright scared shitless by drivers on their mobile phones.
Prepare to be amazed by the number of Oriental people you see. All signs are in English and Cantonese.
Supermarkets DO NOT sell booze, only Liquor Stores.
No one else finds things named ‘Beaver’ this or that funny.
The price on something is not what you pay. They add on all manner of taxes.
Some bus drivers will threaten to kill you if you cross the road in the wrong place.
Others will give you free tickets just for being a ‘Visitor’.
When it is ascertained that you are ‘British’, do expect to be asked if you know people in towns you’ve never visited. Especially Scotland.
They smoke their dope neat.
Their dope is very strong!
Go to Commercial Drive and eat at Havana. Most Yum. Most cool.
Buy clothes, they are cheap. I can’t recommend Old Navy enough!
Fags are something completely different. Do not ask for 20, you get looks.
It’s almost impossible NOT to eat salmon.
The beggars always ask if you can ‘do them a favour’.
You can.
Point to all the shop windows with ‘Help Wanted’ signs in.
Watch a show called ‘Corner Gas’. You’ll be glad you did.
Have the Elvis Platter at Memphis Barbecue. Crisp-e, this is the place for you! Especially if you are on a Carb free thing again.
Taste Kokanee and Sleeman’s beer.
Go to Granville Island and check out the market.

The two weeks spent with Schnee and Kev were absolutely brilliant.
They are very calm and easy to be around.
I can’t thank them enough for being so generous with their home and time.
Their friends were a great bunch to be around too. Such a good laugh.
Gail, Ross and Lily, the invite still stands!

I read 9 books while I was there.
The number of books I get read is how I measure how good my holidays are.
This rates as one of the best. Ever.

10 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it and your guestliness was brilliant too :))

We (and Vancouver) await your return :)

Sassygril said...

Good to see that the visit rekindled your bloggage. Also good to have you back. I did tell you about how to deal with the jet lag but in true fashion you cruelly rebuff my best advice.

You had cornflakes at 9.00pm yet???

Sleepy said...

That is a usual 9pm snack!

I just couldn't hold out and rather than sleep in the chair I chose the bed!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're back safe and sound. Now, spill about the Bowers - hear you know them. ghallett00[at]shaw[dot]ca.

Crisp-e said...

I am sooo pleased you had a good time and came home in one piece!

9 books! Wow! I imagine you rate a holiday on how much peace and quiet you get?

xx

Artemesia said...

Great glimpses into Vancouver.. .
P.S. You’re off the hook!
No need to overload your plate.
A

Sleepy said...

Artemesia.. Hey! Your blog has disappeared!

Artemesia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Artemesia said...

Maybe signing in through my icon doesn't work? Maybe here first:
http://mybailiwick.blogspot.com/

A

Artemesia said...

I guess it didn't work out. This time, took you off the hook! But about Liz..No one can take away what she did and does on behalf of AIDS and HIV when the world did (and still does) treat those with AIDS like Biblical lepers. As far as I'm concerned, she cam have all the paper dolls she wants to play with and I won't bat a false eye lash.
A