Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Requiem For A Soul

Today I went to the Requiem Mass of someone I didn't know.
Sounds weird doesn't it?
It's a Catholic thing I suppose. If Mass is being said all are welcome.
It had been mentioned on Sunday that this lady was being sent off and as she was up in her 90's had outlived nearly all her relatives. Father P asked if we were free could we attend.
I think he was worried about having to say Mass to an empty church.
It stuck in my mind and I thought about how awful it would be to have no one at your funeral.
So I went.
He must have pulled the same shit at every Mass because the place was packed!
To top it off she had chosen one of my favourite hymns.
How Great Thou Art.
The beauty of this one is that you don't necessarily have to be a good singer, or even in tune to belt this bad boy out.
So I did.
Amazingly, rather than draw the usual horrified stares when I go into 'Pearly King Pub Singer' mode, I got smiles and the rest of them went for it too!
I didn't know any of the others but tackled them with equal aplomb.

Now for the bank.
Bunch of wankers.
They have decided to block EVERY, SINGLE transaction I try to make because of 'Unusual Activity' on the card.
Oh, I wonder why that is?
Couldn't have anything to do with it being FUCKING CHRISTMAS could it??
Yes, Yes. I understand the anti fraud aspect of this but I'm thinking that a major card fraudster would spend more than £20 per transaction?
"Please Contact Your Bank"
Those four words can send me from zero to Psycho Killer in under a second.
Twats.

5 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Banks are really rather random over their security practices in my opinion.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh! I've remembered, I bought a TV set once, and they then stopped my card because of 'unusual spending patterns'. I mean DUH!!! How often do you need to buy a TV set?!

Grey Area said...

My bank used to do that a lot with me, I could buy almost anything, but as soon as it was something mundane, like sheets from BHS, all the alarm bells would go off - that system does not work at all - and provides great entertainment for the shop staff. You can get angry and demand that the store calls your bank, they are able to do that through the machine, and go through security at the till thereby letting everyone in the store know your details, which makes very little sense - but my answer is just to get angry and shout a lot. It serves no purpose than to make me feel better.

WV - 'phsecks'

Some Chilean Woman said...

I love singing hymns. I am making Scotsman go with me to Christmas midnight Mass just 'cause I want to sing!

Sleepy said...

Midnight Mass half pissed is a must!