Thursday, February 04, 2010

Cold Calling

I have been getting a call on my mobile from a number I don’t know.

I never answer calls if I don’t recognize the number but this has been a daily call for about 2 weeks.

So today I answered it.

It went like this.


‘Is that Mrs Sleepy McTired?’

‘Yes’

‘Are you having a good day?’

‘Who the fuck ARE you?’

‘I’m from Vodaphone, could you give me the first line of your address please?’

‘Absolutely not’

‘Oh’

‘YOU ‘phoned me. All those details should be on the screen in front of you’

‘I understand but this is just a security question’

‘YOU ‘phoned ME, I’m telling you fuck all mate’

‘This is just a call about services’

‘You won’t be touching fuck all on my services. I want nothing added, nothing removed, Nothing. Actually I do! I want someone higher than you to write to me setting up a security question for the next time one of you twats ‘phones!’


He hung up on me then.

It gives me great joy to get someone who has cold called me to hang up.


4 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

I play different games with cold callers, from hanging up to to keeping them talking for as long as I can pretending I don't understand them. Sometimese they take ages to twig that I'm taking the proverbial. If they tell me their name I pretend to mistake them for a friend of mine of that name and bombard them with questions about invented family members etc. If they call me and waste my precious time, they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. 'You called me, deal with the consequences.'

Schneewittchen said...

Wow, I can't believe they asked you to supply the first line of your addy, that so can't have really been V'phone. Next thing you'd have known, Nigerians would have come a-knocking.

Schneewittchen said...

That's not how I pictured Leigh Russell. I thought spiky hair for sure.

Grey Area said...

Cold callers fall into two camps. I went out with someone once who had a job that involved cold calling in the licensing trade, he loathed the people rang and treated them with contempt -m generally mocking them and often getting a buzz out of teasing information out of them that wasn't strickly kosher - obviously the relationshop failed and he still owes me money. The other sort are a sad lot, people who actually need the job - when I was in Liverpool the train into town would pick up the shift end at a cold calling place on the Dock Road - I've never seen such a sad, depressed and damaged bunch of tired, wounded and miserable people - glassy eyes brimming with tears, some of them were generally shell shocked - and they were always on the way to get something to drink.

Personally I just put the phone down.