Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday 12th October

A meal from the garden!
Well, it was after the addition of steak, peas and wine!
Yep! Even the potatoes.
The first Sleepy Mansions crop of Charlotte’s and Orla’s grown in bags.
Chuffed-ness abounds!

My bank will be one of those lining up with its hand out tomorrow and I don’t know whether I should be shitting myself or not.
Who does?
I have a strange urge to stockpile batteries, water, candles, stuff to make bread with and buy one of those wind up things that is a lamp which can also charge your ‘phone and laptop.
I remember the power cuts during the 70’s and my grandmother making bread.
My Grandfather made Carrot Whisky and Sloe Gin.
Carrot Whisky is very similar to Poteen but the Carotene in the veg gave a colour approximating Whisky.
It was potent shit!
People used to walk in normally and leave as if their hamstrings had been removed at some point during the visit.
For a particularly twisted 6/7 year old this was the best entertainment by candlelight, ever!

This evening I have watched the start of Stephen Fry's programme about America.
I love Stephen Fry and I know this was only the first episode but I found it a little bit too arse kissy for me.
If he's a Yankophile I'll plummet in to depression.
With the state of Spurs, I'm too weak to fight.

7 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

I remember the power cuts too. Mostly they were a good excuse for not doing your homework.
Damn those spuds look good.

Grey Area said...

ah...the three day week....I sometimes feel that my life has not moved on.

Sleepy said...

Schnee.. The spuds were stunning! The difference in taste was enormous.

Richard.. Bins not being emptied, bodies piling up at the crem... All very familiar!
Wonder if I'll get some Lego this Christmas.
I did during 'The Winter of Discontent'!

Schneewittchen said...

Eek, by the Winter of Discontent, I was buying Lego.
Oft times do I forget that verily thou art nearer to my son's age than mine.
I think my generation was more Mecano than Lego.

Sleepy said...

I wanted Mecano SO bad!
Still ATM persisted with the dolls and shit.
Well, up until I autopsied Tiny Tears to see what made her pee.
That's when the fun and games with the Ed Psych started.

I thought Austen was loads younger than me?!

Artemesia said...

An alternate vocation for you..

I think you'd be (maybe are) a great chef! If Newman could do it..How about a product line of

Sleepy's Chuffed-Ness for Midnight Grazers
1)Tea Cakes
2)Annies Green Gage Preserves
3)Chutney From The Bucket
4)Gramps Carrot Brandy Souse
etc..

Sleepy said...

Artemesia.. Hahaha! Sounds like a plan.
Although, unlike Newman, I feel I don't have a face for jars!