Monday, November 19, 2007

Cheerful Whistling

This morning I was rudely awoken by some cheerful bastard whistling while he swept the street.
Loud, complicated whistling full of trills, warbling and smug whatnot.
My Dad would go mad if he heard any whistling in the morning and shout, “Dead Man's Whistle!”
We were never sure if that was what was going to happen to the whistler or if it was what the whistling was called.
I think it’s an old Navy superstition to do with storms.
So I woke up with that line in my head, started the day pretty frigging grumpy and wondered if it were possible to 'Channel' someone still alive.

I was immediately annoyed by my post.
Grown women who put hearts or circles over lowercase i’s or j’s need beating half to death.
I don’t care if it is an invite to your child’s party, stop yourself!
I have similar feelings for people who will tell you they still have their first teddy bear, like it is a GOOD thing.
Stop it you freaks and certainly don’t offer to show it to me.
Jeez!

The only teddy I remember, and it certainly wasn’t the first, I set on fire when I was about 5.
Nearly took out the sofa with that one.
My Grandfather, recognising a potential 'Criminal' problem, made sure we had a bonfire every week.
Which I lit.
The regular frisking for matches and lighters began around that time too.
Many things change in life but my Pyromania is a constant!

The good news of the day is that Housemate Claire is home from hospital.
Whoo Hoo!
She looks 100% better.
She has some discomfort from the surgery, one of her arms is weaker than the other and she is a bit stiff when moving.
The diabetes is starting to come under control.
I haven’t asked whether the source of the insulin in the fridge door is Human or Pig.
I’m not sure I want to know really.
But she’s home, and can start getting better properly, without being woken every hour to see if she is asleep.

If I could whistle it would be a loud, cheerful one.

9 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

I HATE WHISTLING!!!!!! It right proper pisses me off.
I'm sure it started with that Roger Whittaker.....

Crisp-e said...

It depends on how tuneful the whistle is for me.

Glad Claire is ok. You need not worry; most insulin produced these days is from genetically engineered strains of E. coli.

Sleepy said...

Crisp-e.... And that is good??

Schneewittchen said...

I s'pose I should google this before making statements based on bad memory, but isn't e-coli an important something or other assisting bacteria that lives in our gut anyway?

Crisp-e said...

You're right Schnee, though, E. coli is a general name. There are many different strains of E. coli. Molecular biologists like to use them because they are easy to manipulate and culture. The strain that live in the gut does not secrete insulin, your ‘Islet’ cells in the pancreas do that. The E. coli that makes Humulin I (intravenous insulin) have been genetically manipulated to carry the human gene that codes for insulin production. All that remains is to culture the bacteria in huge Bioreactors and stimulate the bacteria to make and secrete pure human insulin. Boom boom!

Sleepy, it’s a good thing because it saves breeding and killing pigs.

Sleepy said...

I was more concerned about the 'kosher' status of the fridge!!
Hehehe!

Thanks for the explanation tho'. x

Crisp-e said...

Hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just had to go looking for something when I read this post. Years ago, I would annoy Ross by whistling badly at him. This became a bit of a legend and his band, the Mysterons, ended up having me do a hidden track on their CD - it's me whistling and drumming. It's just... spectacular. Listen for the cheering crowd in the background. Go here and select the last track, Plummi A Go-Go.

Sleepy said...

Gail... LOL LOL LOL!!
That is cracking!
Drumming?
Are you sure you weren't just throwing stuff down the stairs?!