Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Political Nan

I’ve had the Lib/Dem councillor knocking the door this evening.
He introduced himself, double barrelled surname; and tried to shake my hand.
I was having none of it.
I held them up and away from him and said,
“Cooking”.
He stepped back.
“Any problems in the local area you would like to see addressed?” he asked.
That’s like being asked your Top 10 Albums, not something you can do on the doorstep in 30 seconds, from a cold start.
I told him that there probably were but I couldn’t recall them just now, but did he have a piece of paper.
He left a questionnaire and said to put it in the letterbox, it would be collected.
Loads of tosspot questions.
If he doesn’t already know the problems in his constituency, I’m the last fucker he should ask.
One of the questions was whether I thought there should be more trees planted.
Where I want them planted and would I help planting.
Ok. No problem.
Until I get to a later question.
Something along the lines of using ’derelict’ land for building affordable housing.
I answered,
“Sounds good, but haven’t I just planted a load of trees on this land?”
In the less than roomy box for ‘anything else’ I wrote,
“Knock my door, I have some questions”.
Did he?
Did he bollocks.
Took the questionnaire though.
Now, I’m sure, I’m in their ‘database’.
Not that I’m worried.
It’s a bit like the Quakers taking a Fatwa out on you.

Does everyone have a ‘good Nan’?
It came up in discussion over dinner with Mad Matt this evening.
Everybody I know seems to have had a Grandmother who was better than the other one.
One you had more fun with, who remembered your name, or was nicer, or gave better presents or was alive!
With mine it came down to porridge.
With one Nan we got milk, sugar and syrup.
The other gave us water and salt.
That Granddad used to throw a teacup of whisky on it while her back was turned.
Which helped marginally with the taste, but lit up the potentially latent ‘Alcoholic Gene’ like a frigging Christmas Tree.
My question is about whom the ‘Nan’ belongs to.
Which side?
Is it always your Mum’s Mum who is the favourite?

2 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

We had one Nan who was more 'hands-on' than the other, and that was my mum's mum.

Sleepy said...

The opinion here is that Mum's Mums are better!