Sunday, October 29, 2006

BST

Not being one to complain, I am taking issue with the ‘Easy’ bit of, ’Easy Online Shopping’. It’s anything but.

I have shopped with Waitrose online. Excellent service and an extremely nice delivery lady. Type in ‘Garlic’ and the first thing that pops up on the search is, a bulb of garlic. With Asda all the ‘ready meals’ that have anything vaguely garlic in, pop up. Garlic is hidden away in the exotic herbs, with ginger and chillies. Bread? Fucking forget it! About 150 choices appear!
This, and the vegetables being sold by the kg, made me realise that I am a ‘visual’ shopper. I know the size of the bag the frozen peas come in, ‘kilogram’s’ mean nothing. As evidenced by the 2 portion only bag I managed to have delivered. A litre of yogurt doesn’t look that much online but in person, there’s shit loads!
Then there is the ‘lucky dip’ bag. None of the shit in this bag was ordered by me. As the name suggests, sometimes you get lucky or sometimes you get the bag I got.
Six packets of super noodles, a ‘brown’ stir in sauce and some Pringles. I managed to return it to the driver before he left.
The lucky dip from Waitrose contained Camembert, Brie, Pastrami and Parma ham. They must have got the bag of water biscuits and the olives!

While I’m on food.

Home cooked chips taste shit. There is just no getting away from it. Even if you have your own deep fat fryer they taste cack.
Oven chips are the worst. Do those fuckers EVER go brown? If I have got to have them I prefer Crinkle Cut, they seem to take on some colour. The ‘Chippy’ is the only place for chips. If you are in Pompey, Osprey’s on the corner of Brompton Road is best!

The clocks are going back sometime in the next hour. Lighter mornings, darker evenings and an extra hour of insomnia for me tonight! Apparently it’s all to do with daylight hours and farmers. For me, it is the reason that clocks are not set on anything ‘electrical’ in the house.
I can never remember how to do it. It always needs the remote that has been missing since the last party and the manual is somewhere ‘safe’.

Goodbye British Summer Time, it’s been a nice one. Bring on the cold, the dark and the open fires! Whoo hoo!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Asda, I went there once. Brrrrr, not nice.
I always loved both Sainsbury's and Tesco's online shopping services. Here we have nothing. I'm wondering if Sainsbury's would consider delivering to Vancouver. Prolly not.
Ah, the chippy. You're right, there's just NOTHING quite like it. Forget your soddin' French fries. Chippy chips rule.

Sleepy said...

Schnee.. Let us know what you need and we'll start a sainsbury's 'Red Cross' parcel for you!

Sassy... This David Moyes thing is starting to frighten me now! Not only is there his 'redness' to consider, there's his popping out eye syndrome!

Crisp-e said...

Having worked in a chippie all through uni I can’t stand the smell of them now! Try eating them 3 times a week! The nasty addition to this memory is the one of people who used to come in asking for a bag of crackling! Not the porky type mind you, oh no. I'm talking about the bits and pieces of batter that are skimmed off of the oil after frying a piece of cod. Yep, you’ve read this correctly; people were actually willing to pay for this stuff (20p/bag).

These people are costing the NHS money and they must be stopped, NOW!

Sleepy said...

Crip-e... The way to stop them is to KEEP feeding them that kind of nastiness!
Can't really visualise you in a Chippy, but have no problem seeing you in a Kebab house! Funny that.

teknonra said...

I get a 'twitchy' thinking about kfc, that succulent, tender, mouth-watering reason I’ll probably (definitely) be on my 2nd heart bypass this time soon.....
anyway back to the blog....
chips that was it.
chips.
I’ve eaten quite a lot of the little heart stoppers, in pompi AND ooop north-ish. (midlands) I’ve had gas electric AND fan assisted ovens and i say to you the oven chip is cac. oh yay!
ospreys is good but is it as good as that one on the Milton rd that I can't remember the name of (known for his fish !!?),I ask?
ha!
sorry.... I left my box at home and went to London for the weekend, probably the longest weekend of me long life!! arguments, fallouts, crazy fast drive back , yes!! you!! you w***** SHIFT!! kinda driving.
still, beats the crap outa liking david moyes. oh yay!!

Crisp-e said...

Sleepy, you don’t know the half of it! I was made to wear a paper hat and blue striped apron! I did try the local kebab shop, but they told me that my stubble want up to standard for the job.

Sleepy said...

Tek.. Milton?! I don't go out of Seasea, unless it's off the Island completely. Milton holds no appeal for me. EXCEPT for Gilberts the sweetie shop, who still have stuff in jars and weigh it out for you.

Crisp-e.. Please tell me John has picture evidence of this!
I can't get rid of the image of you with a huge knife, carving the 'elephant's leg'!