Sunday, October 08, 2006

Welsh Wales

The misadventures with the van continued. About 24 seconds from Fareham one of the driver’s side mirrors fell off. Nothing hit it, we hit nothing, it just popped off and became part of the M27 detritus.

The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful. We got to Hay on Wye and our traditional ‘shrooming patch, only to discover a thousand sheep had beaten us to it. Not a one was to be found. It was here, in the pissing rain, I discovered I hadn’t packed my coat so we aimed for Brecon and Millets.
While I’m on the subject of sheep. Most animals get their colouring from some sort of need to be camouflaged. What are sheep camouflaged against? Perhaps snow but that is not year round and if you’re the black sheep, you’re fucked. The same with cows, especially those black and white ones. I would also like to know who the first person was to look at cows udders and think, “I’m gonna give them a tug and see what happens”.

Our first stop was at a place called Rhandir-Mwyn, a few miles from Llandovery. A really nice campsite with about 10 other ‘people’ and no kids!
It was here that Rob voiced concerns about air flow and quality during the night. I suggested that with the van being German in construction and given their expertise with gassing, we should be quite safe as it seemed unlikely they would kill themselves. The same with the onboard gas oven.

We stayed for a couple of nights then headed for St David’s. St David’s has the distinction of being the smallest city in the UK. Population 1,797. We stayed on a site a stones throw from the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. I did the walk and found St Non’s Well and the place where St David was born. St Non was his Mum and apparently gave birth to him during a storm on the top of the cliffs.
Really bleak and open place. As we all know, to become a Saint some sort of miracle has to be performed. St David’s happened at Llandewi Brefi! Yep, the very same one of Little Britain fame!. According to legend, a few of the crowd couldn't hear or see him, so the rock he was standing on just grew up out of the ground.

Apart from the TOTAL lack of ‘shrooms it was a good trip! Other mood altering drugs were along with us! Thank Christ. I also found out that the Welsh word for Bowls is 'Bowlio'! I'm going to be using that from now on, it's lovely.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm making it up about the sheep, but I reckon you can't see 'em in the frequent fog that we get in the British Isles.
With the cows and the milk, I think that if they don't get milked they actually leak, just like breastfeeding mums do in fact, and then in their natural state, other animals come along and lick it up. I guess you also didn't need to be too much of a rocket scientist, just stay off the peyote for a couple of hours, to notice small cows suckling at bigger cows and decide it's prolly milk.
Dunno if cows need to be camouflaged really, apart from the odd very dedicated wolf pack, and humans, and there's no point even bothering to 'flage from humans, not sure if they have any natural preditors.
Sorry to hear about the lack of 'shrooms tho. Bummer.

Sleepy said...

As part of a school trip we were taken to a farm and given the chance to hand milk a cow.. It ain't that easy! There is a proper knack to it.
So, there must have been some considerable udder fondle-age by someone. Then they would have to be totally un-embarrassed about passing the info along.

You might be right about that sheep and fog. They are fucking thick tho'.

Anonymous said...

Oh sleepy - I just got your comment on my latest blog entry - I could never dump you. You are my backup for when I finally give up on the male of the species and head to the superior female. I'm practicing by looking intently (some may call it staring but why quibble) at all of the lesbians along Vancouver's Commercial Drive. Why just today I spotted four of them sitting in a cafe. Now, disturbingly, none of them looked like Jennifer Beals or even Leisha Hailey, Alice on the L-Word and the only out lesbian in the bunch (Kate Mooennig is not out apparently).
So wait for me sleepy. A few more men like C. and I'm rushing over to the drama free (ha!) life of the lesbian. Hey, I thought that lesbian on Oprah last week was quite cute but her partner was a tad too butch for my taste.
- Karen

Sleepy said...

Karen... That is nice to know..So? how much longer are you giving the male of the species? Before you get real?

Anonymous said...

Good grief, get a room you two.
Sleepy is a great cook.
I love duck, LOVE it.

Sleepy said...

Duck can be a bit greasy if it's not done right! The chinese seem to have got it sussed.

We had a similar thing with rabbits as chicken..
We thought we had 'pet' rabbits, my Nan thought otherwise. They used to pass peacefully away during a Saturday night and we'd have a four legged chicken on Sunday.
Monday we get a new 'pet' rabbit!

No wonder my Nan was always shouting, "Feed that rabbit, it looks skinny"