Monday, October 30, 2006

Icon

There is a programme on BBC2 called, ‘The Culture Show’ and they are having a vote for Britain’s greatest living icon.
It’s quite a good show, arts, music, theatre, style etc, not too high brow but not for planks either. Or so I thought. Until I visited the website. Just browsing through the message boards to see what names were being suggested, I found Madonna and Rolf Harris. Rolf fucking Harris!
Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick, but I thought Britain’s Cultural Icon would actually BE British. Rolf’s family MAY have been British at some point, until a light fingered ancestor got the family transported, but Madonna? Fuck off! The Septic’s can keep her and her ‘rainbow’ family. I’ll even throw Guy Richie in for free.
Also, why every time some self absorbed yank wants to legitimise what they are doing, do they go on Oprah? What’s that all about?
I think Stephen Fry is going to get my vote, just because I believe he is a god. He is one of those people, who if I made them laugh, I could die immediately after. There also seem to be very few females to vote for. So, Schnee, Sassy… Get yourselves on the case girls!

How fucking annoying is a radiator that needs bleeding? The one in the living room is driving me mental. Especially late at night. It sounds like there is someone else in the room, breathing. Freaked myself right out with it this afternoon! The heating timer is still on BST and for the life of me I couldn’t work out what the noise was or where it was coming from. What made it worse was the cat sitting bolt upright and doing the, ‘What the fuck was that? There is someone in the house.” look. That, I can just about cope with. The staring, mesmerised in to space really shits me up. I think he knows that. Bastard.


To calm myself I watched Boston Legal. I didn’t want to like it but ended up loving it!
I do admit to watching it with the vague hope that William Shatner WILL explode on screen. The geezer must be on some serious ‘roids to look like that. That aside, he is brilliant as Denny Crane. James Spader is surprisingly good too!

Now one for the Housemates.
I know the kettle holds 3 pints but if you are making a drink for you and you only, 3 pints of water aren’t fucking necessary. The kettle will still work if you put a cupful in! The water can’t be re-boiled it gets all chalky and nasty. The tea made with it has a film on top that looks like Tectonic Plates, for fuck’s sake!
Not only that, it’s a waste of energy and water. Stern Report anyone? Anyone?

As I typed this, Mrs Next Door went off the deep end!
She could be heard over the BBC News! She ‘Could not believe it’ at least 14 times’, ‘Get to your room’ x2 and ‘Get away from me’ x6. The Naughty Step mustn’t be working out for her! I’m now awaiting the arrival of her long suffering husband so I can hear it all over again and perhaps, find out what she couldn’t believe! I wouldn’t be surprised if the girl had brought home some colourful language from a ‘Scholarship’ child. Or had smuggled in a bag of Wotsits.

Today my niece, Brooke, is 13. I haven’t seen her for three years but I just want to say, ‘Happy Birthday Brooke!’ Love you mate.

26 comments:

Crisp-e said...

How she manages to wind herself up into such frenzy is beyond me. Poor girl is only five years of age. Might I remind her that SHE is the adult! Yet she manages to argue with the child like she's in the playground fighting over a packet of crisps. "Get away from me"! For fuck sake!!!!

Sleepy said...

Tell me about it!!
She got SO shrill towards the end of it, I swear I could hear dogs barking!

teknonra said...

Shatner was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, to Joseph Shatner and Anna Garmaise, both of whom were the children of Jewish immigrants from Ukraine;[1] the family name was originally "Schattner". He attended Willingdon Elementary School , West Hill High School in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce in Montreal, Quebec, and earned a Bachelor's degree in commerce from Montreal's McGill University (the Student Union building of which, was officially renamed The Shatner Building in 1989 following a referendum by the Student Union.) in 1952. Trained as a classical Shakespearean actor, he performed at the Shakespearean Stratford Festival of Canada in Stratford, Ontario—in later years generations of Canadian high-school students were startled to see[citation needed] photos of William Shatner (as well as actor Lorne Greene) in their Shakespeare texts playing a wide range of Shakespearean roles at the Stratford Festival.

In 1954 he was cast as "Ranger Bill" on the popular Howdy Doody Show in the United States. His official movie debut was in the 1958 MGM film The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, in which Shatner starred as the youngest of the Karamazov brothers, Alexei (he had earlier appeared in a 1951 Canadian film entitled The Butler's Night Off). In 1959, he received good reviews when he took on the role of Robert Lomax in the Broadway production of The World of Suzie Wong. In 1962 he starred in Roger Corman's award-winning movie The Intruder. He also appeared in the Stanley Kramer film Judgment at Nuremberg and two episodes of the acclaimed science fiction anthology series The Twilight Zone. Shatner guest-starred in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. in an episode that also featured Leonard Nimoy, with whom Shatner later would be paired in Star Trek. Shatner also starred in the 1965 Gothic horror film Incubus, the second feature-length movie ever made with all dialogue spoken in the constructed language Esperanto.
hurts dunit !!?

Sleepy said...

Tek (who ever you are!)...
I could have lived without knowing any of that.

Sleepy said...

Crisp-e.. Hahahaha! I love it when you are respectful!

Crisp-e said...

lol, No, seriously! Who are you?

Sleepy said...

Crisp-e... You've got to let it go dude!

The biography is comprehensive and but gives me no idea WHY he has been inflated to 140psi..

Crisp-e said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...Sorry Tek, had to ask. Welcome!

Sleepy said...

Maybe his 'hair' just makes him look porky!

Crisp-e said...

Or his padded shirt!

Sleepy said...

Didn't William Shatner write or direct (Or fucking something!) Tek Wars?

Crisp-e.. Might be the Shat one himself!! Hehehehehe!

Crisp-e said...

lol. Can't say I've ever followed his illustrious career. All I know is that he’s got very ‘tall’ over the past few years.

Sleepy said...

Crisp-e.. Come, come, let's call it what it is.. Bald Fat Fucker Syndrome. There's no getting away from it!

Crisp-e said...

hahahahahahahaha...advertising health food!!!

Sleepy said...

I know! The bare, fat faced cheek of it.

Sleepy said...

Heeeeeeeeere's Sassy!

Tek... I would declare yourself as Friend or Foe soon! I have a feeling this could get messy!

Sleepy said...

Aaaahh.. Vivienne Westwood didn't pop in to my head at all! Good Call!

Anonymous said...

Tek give me back the 3 minutes of my life you wasted!

Sleepy said...

Josh... Hahahaha! and welcome! I see it took Tek to drag out your first post!

Karen said...

Didn't William Shatner kill his wife in a pool?
or was that Robert Blake?
no, i'm sure there are mysterious circumstances surrounding that death of that Mrs. Shatner.
I used to love James Spader. Remember that film with Susan Sarandon - White Palace? Wowza. Then he bloated up. He referred to his 25 pound! weight gain on Ellen and she was like, "you look great."
no he does not.
Sleepy, I appreciated your story about being alone for four days at the YMCA. That was oddly comforting.
There's nothing wrong with bloating up as we age. But James is an actor! I have higher standards.
Oh and sleepy, I've just discovered that Mrs. Melissa Etheridge has a blog - www.hollywoodfarmgirl.blogspot.com What with your constant mentioning of Melissa, I knew you would appreciate it.
- Karen

Sleepy said...

I'm glad you caught that Karen, I thought I was being over subtle on the Melissa front.

*wanders away, stoned and confused*

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I can't believe the world carries on without me......

teknonra said...

Sorry about Shatner.
pulled a few newbies out the interweb box thing eh? eh?.
Crisp,I am but a man..... an old man :)
Madam Blogg doth knowest me.
and i knowest that she knowest that she knowest me also.
i no longer knowest what i'm on about-ist.
10 things you DON'T know-est about-est me-est
1. I've eaten my dinner.
2. I freed a tree.
3. My mother was a Hussey.
4. The binmen don't talk to me anymore.
5. Rob keeps asking me to twitch.
6. Dogs not Cats.
7. Mr Cup says "who's the daddy!"
8. I have a pen called eric.
9. No wool on skin.
10. I'm not from these parts.

teknonra said...

Sassy....
I am but one sun god in a universe of sun gods.....
oooooh! look ,one just floated past...really!!
wave!
now do that thing with your lower intestine,…… you know what I

teknonra said...

like :)

Sleepy said...

Tek.. You go dude!