Saturday, August 04, 2007

Taxis And Gambling


Last evening started bizarrely, as only a taxi ride in Pompey can.
The driver told me tales of nastiness that had happened to people who had tried to do a ‘runner’ on him. The bollocks kicked, the mouths punched, the tenners ripped from pockets, etc.
Stabbings of other drivers he had attended.
I was not looking particularly ‘Gypo’ or ‘Chav’ last night.
Both of which, I’m sure I can claim.
I refused to talk to him and made no effort, whatsoever, during the ride.
Just stared out of the window.


I won £36 last night plus I got my ten quid stake back!
The taxi guy on the way home was the business.
“Ello Lover, had a good night babe?”
Ahhh… Proper Pompey, I can cope with that.
“I’ve won 36 quid tonight!! Whoo Hoo!”
“’ave you babe!?? Blinder!
I’ve never won fuck all down there; Cunts!
Great night out though, innit?!”
You have to laugh at the total lack of effort to even try and be civilised!
And at the idea that the use of that word would be inoffensive to their ‘fare’.
Regardless of gender.
I spent my gambling winnings on weed, it seemed appropriate somehow.


This weekend is Claire’s birthday celebration.
The actual day is Sunday but birthdays can last up to a week here!
The ‘usual subjects’ and Claire’s family will be around.
Sassy & Crisp-e, we will raise a glass for you.


It has been a Scorchio day. Not a cloud in the sky.
This has been the view from my garden chair all day.
Brighton Pride is on, I guarantee there are some seriously sunburned people there!

7 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Cool! Vancouver Pride tomorrer ! Not a day to be driving downtown and a friend of mine who I might expect to go has decamped (sic) to San Fran for the weekend to stay with strangers.

Sassygril said...

Happy birthday to Claire!! I will raise several glasses in her honour tonight.

All is fine here. Hot weather, over efficient air con and nice people. It's one of the nicer aspects of academic life where you can be sitting at a table with dutch, german, french and americans (Bostonian darling so that's OK) and all get on, share ideas, have a laugh. No status or rank pulling...great gear.

Sleepy said...

schnee..Something to show the Grandkids!

sassy..Sounds cracking! Don't you be coming home with any 'European' ideas.
In America the French are tolerable, once you are back on our island within an island, they are the Enemy! Ok?

Sassygril said...

Oh this is not fair! I LIKE the French - especially the Parisiennes who are brothers and sisters in rudeness.

And before you go on about the war, when you're next in the house, look for a book by Carmen Cahlil called 'Bad Blood' (or something like that). She's really interesting on that period and the bood is sensational. Not an easy read by any means, but fascinating.

Hope you're all well oiled and love to Mikey too.

Artemesia said...

I was curious..so I looked the book up..It's Carmen Callil. I've often wondered how many people I've known/know, would behave if their neighbor's lives were on the line (and their's)in the days of the Nazis. Many came up short. See:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/biography/0,,2056649,00.html

Amazing that so many call themselves liberal.

And there were those in WW2 who did put themselves on the line for others, people quite ordinary who simply did what they thought was decent.
A

Schneewittchen said...

Yep, it would except the getting downtown on public transport (not a cat in hell's chance of parking when there's an event on) and then trying to get back out the same way. It's a real pain in the neck the poor public transport here, it spoils a hell of a lot.

I too have a love-hate relationship with the French. Love some of 'em, hate some others. Love some of their Frenchness, hate other bits.

The Carmen Callil book sounds interesting. It's also why I liked Gunter Grass's 'Im Krebsgang' and want to read his latest, because these are the stories of ordinary people like us but in a different war situation.

Sleepy said...

Can you imagine the parking at the Nuremburg Rallies??!!

We have proper been on the piss at Sleepy Mansions!