Tuesday, September 19, 2006

5767

Rosh Hashanah starts at sundown on Friday. This is the Jewish New Year.
It is ‘celebrated’ with extra long services at Temple. It’s also a time of judgement when, according to the Talmud, individuals and the world, as a whole, are judged. One is supposed to reflect on the past year and resolve to change in the coming one. It lasts for 10 days and ends with Yom Kippur, The Day of Atonement. These are known as The Days Of Awe. The theme during this time is that G-d has a book in which our names are written. Writing down who will live, who will die, who will have a good year, who will have a bad one. During these ten days, through repentance and good deeds you can change that. The book is closed on Yom Kippur and what is written shall be!

Honey and apples are used in cooking at this time so that the New Year will be sweet. Apple dipped in honey is really yummy.
Another tradition I really like is, Tashlikh, “Casting Off”. You walk into flowing water, a river or a stream, on the first day and empty out your pockets. It symbolises casting off your sins. It’s not in the bible but neither are many things that people do!
The best bit is a Ram’s horn, called a Shofar, gets blown a lot and somehow it sounds really ‘ancient’ and connects you to all who have gone before. There are many different stories told for the reason it is used, my favourite is that it was used before the Israelites went into battle.

There is also a joke I love about this time.

“Two maids were discussing their respective employers. One says, ‘Mine are Catholic and Christmas and New Year are really busy in the house’. The other says, ‘Mine are Jewish and on Rosh Hashanah they blow the Shofar’. The first one answers, ‘Really? Ours Just gets a £100 bonus’..” Ho hum, Used to crack us up!

Friday is also a New Moon and the day after is the Autumnal Equinox, so I feel certain things are afoot. Housemates beware! You know what happened the last time we had a full moon!

Also, the calendar in my kitchen says that Friday is Native American Day, we don’t have many of those in Portsmouth so I had to look this one up. I didn’t find very much but I would really like to know about it, so if anyone has the info it would be appreciated.

So come on people, it’s a special time. Say sorry to the people you have pissed off, get your shoes and socks off, have a paddle and get rid of pocket fluff. You never know something just might change.

“May you be inscribed and sealed for good”.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! - That something was moving in a different dimension. Booyah.
Is 5767 the actual number of the year?

Liked the joke. :))

Don't know anything about Native American day but I'll ask my Americans.

Sleepy said...

Yep, that's the number of the year! Cool Innit!

Thanks for finding out for me. I hope it is good and not just some sort of apologist thing.

Anonymous said...

Well very very interesting. I don't really know any of this, despite the 1/2 Jewish nature of myself. Well, really it's through the mother and it's my father, but why quibble.
Native Americans - much like Native Canadians I think. Tortured, slaughtered by the Europeans, later sent to reserves and residential schools. Had their culture ripped away. Things are being redressed now, land claims, free dental work, the odd "so sorry." Still though, many First Nations people in Canada live poor on reserves and the children are - maybe twice or three times, I'll have to check - less likely to finish high school.
I'll have you know, Sleepy, while I am 1/2 Jewish on the father's side, I am 1/64 native on my mother's and Metis less far back. Metis is a mix of French and Native.
All very interesting.
Are you a member of the Jewish race? I knew not.
- Karen

Sleepy said...

Karen.. Thanks for the First Nations information. As sad as it is, wherever Europeans have arrived they have fucked it up for the people who where there first. Look at the Aborigines and Maoris. The films, 'Rabbit Proof Fence' and 'Once We Were Warriors' kind of some that up. Both really upset me.

I wouldn't know if I were 1/64th anything! But with what I know of my family is probably 1/64th something alcoholic and yep, I can claim a Jewish heritage.
I get the impression you are not particularly keen on that side of your heritage (Or is it just your Dad you aren't keen on!?)

I think you and Schnee should go and find some running water on Friday and have a paddle! AND, no, the Lido doesn't count!

Anonymous said...

At the turn of the 20th century, people began making proposals for a day to honor Native Americans.
In 1914, Red Fox James, a member of the Blackfoot tribe, rode horseback from state to state in the hope of gaining support for a day of tribute.
The following year, Dr. Arthur C. Parker, a member of the Seneca tribe, persuaded the Boy Scouts of America to designate a day of recognition for Native Americans.
New York was the first state to observe American Indian Day in 1916. Over the years, other states followed suit in designating a day to honor Native Americans.
In 1976, a Senate resolution authorized the president of the United States to declare the week of October 10-16, 1976, as Native American Awareness Week.
The celebration was expanded to a month in 1990.

Sleepy said...

@Anon... Thanks!