Saturday, November 11, 2006



As Schnee requested, a picture of my beloved Jessie!
Today we have been out and about in the countryside. It has been a typical autumn day here, bright but grey,the sun was really watery and it was fecking freezing.

We drove to a place called Inkpen, down some lanes so narrow I was breathing in at some points, to have a look for Red Kites. I'm not a great birdwatcher but if you are friends with Rob you have to know the basics.


We were up high enough to look down on one as it hunted. Beautiful. So languid in flight. There were buzzards too and they are huge!
There was also a pheasant shoot going on which meant hundreds of Land Rovers, black labs and much green clothing.
We could hear the guns and see the beaters but didn't see a single pheasant!

Fifteen minutes after the gunfire stopped there were thousands! I think that must be the pheasant version of, "Fuck You!"
It's even funnier to see them running along the road in front of the Land Rovers full of the 'Guns'!
These people who were blasting them out of the sky 20 minutes ago are really squeamish about running them over. They break suddenly, swerve across the lane or crawl along at 20mph to avoid hurting them. Strikes me as weird.

Right, does anybody else get pissed off with people, who when you are speaking to them, are either mouthing what you say, trying to say it with you or say what you've said about a second after you?
What the fuck is that all about. Is it some sort of tic? Put your hand over your mouth and stop yourself! It'll save me going to court for assault.

I have also made a discovery. The scariest thing in a country village is a hundred year old woman, behind the wheel of a Nissan Micra, in a carpark. I had to run from her! At first I thought we had a runaway car situation until I saw the blob of grey hair through the steering wheel. Christ, did my heart rate increase. She would have it the bag full of wine first.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh...she's a beaut! :)

Hah, as for driving down those country lanes, imagine Kevin's horror when he first encountered them and on the opposite side. He couldn't believe how bushes could hit you while driving along, nor how we all manage to drive on such narrow roads without hitting each other.

Sleepy said...

Schnee... You don't have to be driving to get hit by bush! ;) The sign reading 'Passing Places' gives me a smile too.

Sassy... She is an absolute sweetiepie! I kiss her more than is natural.

Crisp-e...The Mmmmm-er's are fucking irritating because they aren't really listening to you but just waiting for a chance to speak.

Anonymous said...

Sleepy, you're a very, very bad girl, and I know that over the years, many people have been very happy about that :))

teknonra said...

I've done that 'twitching' thing with Rob too!! all that looking up at trees, going aah the lesser spotted daigopecker(spellcheck offered backpacker?), don't often see them here...... gotta love him.
he gave me some ideas for my own blog though, dead shopping trolleys and something else (damn this short term memory problem!!
anyway,nice dog.
i was born in Wiltshire - it's cac.
then i went oop north-sh, also cac...... see a pattern? Spent most of my early years stuck behind that damn tractor.