Friday, November 10, 2006

The Runner

After an incident with the 'Nutty Daddy' last night, I have done a runner to my Wiltshire hideaway. Where I was greeted by Jess the Greyhound, who kept her paws to herself! Unlike some.....

A stop was made at Tescos in Winchester.
Here, I got to relive that childhood panic of being left at the till with the groceries, while the person with the money runs off to some distant aisle to get some forgotten thing.
While I was panicking and packing s-l-o-w-l-y, I got to observe the store and some of the other shoppers.
Tesco at Winchester is fucking posh!
The shelves had not a hint of their 'Deckchair' range, the silver packaging of 'Finest' stuff shone all over the place.
Men in corduroys, cravats, tweedy jackets and brogues.
The women.... Eeeesh! More twin sets and pearls than you could shake a pair of sensible shoes at. They were expensively dressed and looked like David Walliams' character from Little Britain.
These are the people who were wearing Burberry 25 years ago, before it got all chav-ed up.
So different from yesterday's experience.

While I'm thinking of David Walliams; Does anyone else get freaked out by little teeth and big gums? I've seen two sets today! I don't think the gene pool in the Winchester area is up for a 'blue flag', if you know what I mean.

So, for the next few days I will try and share life from a Wiltshire village.
If you think Pompey is weird, wait 'til you get a load of this place! People here traipse through cow shit like it was fallen autumn leaves. Waxed jackets, Wellingtons and muddy Labradors are de riguer.
Get this, there is chicken feed for sale in the local Coop!

Sassy, if I miss a day... Patience!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohmygod, in that case, you HAVE to seek out Waitrose in Winchester, maybe on the way back, if Tesco's is that posh, Waitrose must be where the Queen stops off at for nibbles.
How about a Jess pic at the top of the next post hmmmm???? Pretty please...

ikoqs?

Sleepy said...

I will see if M's computer allows it..

My laptop doesn't seem to like the taste of pics. Both Crisp-e and I have tried.

Waitrose in Marlborough is an absolute delight. I asked some geezer to pass me down peppercorns, it was only in the next aisle I was informed it was Nigel Havers!

sjnaih

Karen said...

what big menopausal giant? colour me confused.
- Karen

Anonymous said...

Nigel Havers in Marlborough, how very appropriate somehow. Cool though, asking him to pass the peppercorns. Teehee.

Sleepy said...

Karen..BFG? Big Friendly Giant..
BMG......

Anonymous said...

So...Karen will be walking around with a rucksack that tells ppl she's a Big Menopausal Giant, hmm....interesting....
But nil desperandum, it might be a conversation opener.

Sleepy said...

Sassy...I hate Commercial Road, Bandit country.
We should club together and buy a massive estate with big walls and fucking huge dogs!.

Crisp-e... I told you it would come!
Sassy's compost needs a scientific eye, failing that, a sample of your urine to get the process going. You know Girly wee doesn't do the trick!.

Schnee... was I too subtle?!!

Crisp-e said...

Sassy, you got too much time on your hands to be scrutinising and contemplating the state of your compost!

Sleepy, I've already told you that I'm too short to pee into the composter!!!!