Thursday, December 27, 2007

Aftermath

Thank Christ that’s all over.
Christmas was great.
Starting with Christmas Eve and seeing Crisp-e’s family.
They drove down from London for their first Pompey visit.
I was on my best behaviour and didn’t drop a single “Fuck” in front of his Mum.
Phew!
Sassy came for dinner Christmas Day. The absolute highlight being, ‘herself’ leaving with her knickers in her pocket!
She can explain that one all by herself.
I’m far too discreet!
Rob turned up at about 10pm and we drank Vodka and coffee until 3am.
A splendid day!

Housemates, I know it is the season of Goodwill and all that but this won’t wait.
There must be a way of putting opened packets of spaghetti and linguine back in the cupboard.
One that means I don’t feel like a lone Spartan as pasta arrows rain down on me when I open the fecking door.
I was physically damaged by linguine today!
Not a sentence I intend to use again, I can tell you.

Sadly, Benazir Bhutto has been killed by a suicide bomber.
What I find confusing is how a bunch of people who embrace Martyrdom, think that their guy is going to be the only ‘Martyr’ to come out of this act.

This gave me the best laugh of the year on Christmas day.
Tommy you're a fecking LEGEND!

9 comments:

Ana Jurney said...

oh my gosh--i loved the video clip! That guy's hilarious!

Sleepy said...

He is my new favourite bloke in the world!

His "It's hard to be a woman" clip is pure gold!

Sassygril said...

I think that I will forever draw a discrete bijou curtain over the incident with the knickers! A kind of tasteful sort.

Benazir, what can you say? Brave to go back, yes, undoubtedly. And those western governments who brokered her return let her down badly in that they failed to secure her safety once she had arrived. But I find the re-writing of history a tad offensive. Tariq Ali was the only commentator to ever so discretely state the fact that her previous regime was not covered with glory - and that the Bhutto family were just the tinsiest bit corrupt. It wasn't just spin.

She actually had nothing new to bring to the problems that beset Pakistan. Sorry, but she didn't. The idea that fundamentalism there would just blow itself out (as she said) is just ridiculous. And allowing US forces to chase militants over the border from Afghanistan would really go down well with the locals.

I'm sorry for the manner of her death. I am even more sorry for the families of those who died with her. A sad time. A sad time.

Sassygril said...

And Tommy is a legend.

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. Curtain drawn!

Yep, the mention of the £700 million in various accounts and her 6 month suspended sentence from the Swiss courts, for money laundering, seem to have been overlooked.

It's sad that a whole family has now been wiped out due to politics and lets not forget, to 3 kids she was just "Mummy".

Sassygril said...

That is the toughest thing. Poor kids. I also think that she didn't understand how much the country had changed since she left. Mind you, I think I'm bullet proof and it's only been the onset of menopause that's made me recalculate.

Schneewittchen said...

Christmas sounds brill, Sassy's knickers sound....interesting.

Benazir, tears; money laundering, well that's politicians for you. It's good to see such a unified front in this country though. Perhaps the greatest achievement of her life will be in death.

I find the re-writing of history by the BBC's American partners in crime offensive, most offensive indeed, by the BBC news team - not so much.

Like Sassy, menopause has made me pause and think about some stuff.

Sassygril said...

Clive was going MENTAL about the American coverage. Being located in NZ, and travelling so much to the USA, he gets CNN and stuff. As Schnee said, it was incredibly revisionist. I haven't heard him get so cross in ages. Many years ago he was mates with Tariq Ali who was on Channel 4 news last night. One of the few people whose commentary was delicately and sensitively poised.

I am coming to think that there are positive aspects to this menopause biz - as long as you can get away from the hot flushes...

Sleepy said...

Get some soya in to you for the hotness!

I can understand Clive's anger.
Considering the Septics were 'backing' her.