Friday, December 28, 2007

The Fear And The Acronym



The Big little Brother decided that today, 24 hours before
ATM arrives back from Florida, that we should prepare the DMT.
In her house.

I have to admit to being panicky that he’d got the wrong day and she would walk through the door.
The thought of her walking into the kitchen and seeing me, the brother and Crisp-e chopping up tree bark in her sooper dooper blender and transferring it to her slow cooker, filled me with utter panic.
The air was thick with pink dust; thank G-d she has an extractor fan!
Once we had started it suddenly dawned on the brother that the ’blender’ was, in fact, ATM’s sooper dooper Smoothie maker.
We continued using it anyway.
All giggling at the idea ATM could drink a Smoothie and end up on a ‘Vision Quest’!

My brother’s complete inability to plan a piss up in a brewery means that the grinding stage was as far as we got.
Huge thanks to Crisp-e for his supervision and ability to read the instructions properly.
The last bit alone, almost certainly saving one or both of us a trip to Odstock Burns Unit!

I’ve also been in the grip of a seriously Bad Hair Day.
For most of the day I have looked like Ernie Wise.
My hair has had something very similar to this going on.
Not a good look for Ernie, let alone me!

I watched The History Boys this evening.
Cracking film.
Although, it makes me slightly uncomfortable the way the gay teachers are portrayed.
Why is any teacher, gay or lesbian, assumed to be ‘interested’ in kids?
Tut Tut Tut.
Choked me up at the end though.
‘Pass it on boys, pass it on’.
I’ve missed Frances de le Tour, how fabulous is she?!
For some reason the last time I saw her (that I remember) was in Rising Damp.

4 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Erk, the trouble with the Ernie WIse hair is that it's too damn flat. It suits no-one. Mine does that sometimes too.
Frances de la Tour, yes, what a star. LOVED her and loved that film.
With the portrayal of the gay teachers, I'm not sure I think of it so much as kiddie fiddling as of being the pressure cooker of the all-male environment. Too much testosterone can kill.

Sleepy said...

The hair bothered my big stylee today!

So can too much oestrogen!
I was at an all girls boarding school remember.
Only the Nuns prevent your actual murder happening!
But are quite a boon for repressed homosexuality.
Although, repression seems to have passed me by!

Sassygril said...

Repression passed you by? No shit, Sherlock. I don't know if he directed The History Boys, but I think I am right in saying that Nicholas Hytner directed the stage version (which the film is based on). And Hytner is openly gay. And is doing an amazing job as Artistic Director of the National Theatre. Check out his CV, it'll make your jaw drop as to how many films and productions that guy has directed that you know and love. And he's still got the best years ahead.

Some people are just amazingly creative. And use slow cookers and Smoothie makers to synthesise 'stuff'...

Sleepy said...

Hytner did direct the film.
What a clever guy he is!