Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Violence Of The Lambs

I decided to do an experiment and cook a leg of lamb in the slow cooker.
Load of garlic cloves, Rosemary, 2 bay leaves, chopped up ginger, salt & pepper and a glass of white wine.
In the pot for 7 hours. (2.5lb leg)
An experiment I probably should have conducted earlier in the year when a fuck up would have been less of a… Well… A fuck up!
It was precisely 2.5 inches too long for the pot.
Fucker.
After violently swinging at it with a cleaver for five minutes, spattering meat up the walls and a near miss with my thumb, I gave up and went for the tool box.
I found a Tenon Saw and a hacksaw.
Neither looked particularly wholesome or the slightest bit washable.
There is a circular saw under the stairs but I’d ruled that out early on.
Fortunately, I remembered that Crisp-e bought one of those knives that cuts through those pens which can stab through tin cans, or something.
It took twenty minutes and was worth every swear filled minute.
The smells that are coming from the kitchen are heavenly.

First bit of Christmas TV gold.
Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special.
A bit darker than usual and kind of ‘setting up’ series three but still immense.

Merry Christmas people, may what ever gets your grin on visit you.

5 comments:

Sleepy said...

I've just taken the Lamb out.
I grabbed it by the bone to lift it and nearly pulled it straight out of the meat.
It falls apart!
I am beyond delighted with myself!

Artemesia said...

Happy Neanderthal Christmas! You've inspired me to get a small leg of lamb for my slow cooker. Thanks for the recipe.
A

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

oddly, last night as I was preparing my massive 'built from scratch' Thai green curry - I realised the can opener was missing when I was about to add the coconut milk.

I went through the same farcical procedure, hacksaw - wood punch etc, before ruining a perfectly good wood chisel.

I probably have aluminium filings in my gut - but the final meal was divine!

Alas, I ruined any good memories of the rest of the day by getting drunk in the pub afterward.

Some Chilean Woman said...

Thank heavens for BBC America -I love Gavin and Stacey.

Schneewittchen said...

Yay!!! Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special - something to look forward to, and (like SCW, god bless BBC Canada too) AND a new series coming along ! YEEEEEE-bloody-HAAAAA!!!!!