Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Trip Round The Bill

Yesterday R and I went to Portland to enjoy ‘a bit of nature’ while under the influence of some ‘shrooms!
Luckily for us we managed to pitch up on the wettest, windiest August day either of us had ever seen.
So, dressed for arctic conditions and starting to ‘trip’, we began our trek to Portland Bill.
Tripping while walking along cliffs in 70mph winds was an experience.
Trying to turn one corner, on what I thought was a particularly narrow path, with instant death on brutal rocks to my right; the wind took me straight off my feet!
Fortunately it blew me inland.

I did manage to get it together enough to take a few photos of birds.
The conditions helped, the wind just seemed to hold them in the air for me.
We stayed overnight and woke to a glorious day today.
The ‘carnage’ that had been washed ashore was awful.
I would have photographed it if parents weren’t allowing their kids to play amongst it.
I couldn’t face an ‘angry mob’ or the sex offenders register!

Plastic bottles, carrier bags, bread trays, dustbins, rope of many colours and lengths, glass bottles, Gannet corpses in various stages of decomposition, fishing floats and buoys, wooden pallets. Many shoes (devoid of feet, this isn’t Canada!) and a bright pink wig.
Tar.
Tar is obligatory on British beaches.
As a child you are told to stay away from it but the stuff is virtually fucking invisible when you are a kid.

At least 98% of it was human related.
The foot caught my eye and I thought of that saying, ‘Tread gently on Mother Earth’.
It looked like we’d stamped all over Chesil Beach this morning.

Tomorrow I’m off to Wiltshire for some quiet, gentle time with the hounds.
Hopefully I will get to see some of the Olympics.
I’m still dreadfully lacking in ‘viewage’, although my knees feel as though I’ve been triple jumping for the last 24 hours solid!

Catch you anon.


No comments: