Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Goodbye

We saw Smudger off today.
I think it was a good send off.
The people who meant something were there.
The Head wasn’t.
The person I assumed was there ‘representing’ him had not a stitch of black anywhere near her, had on half a pair of trousers and looked like she was ‘sparing’ us an hour from a busy shopping schedule.
His son and I were very close but had lost contact a year or so ago.
He has had some sort of mental breakdown, nothing to do with his Dad’s death, but a break from ‘reality’ nonetheless.
I was keeping it together until I saw Smudge Jr.
Then I filled up, but there were too many there I didn’t want to lose it in front of.
I kept it in, then cried all the way home in the car.

Rest easy Smudge.

5 comments:

Janis Hindman said...

Smudger was a good 'un and no mistake.
I don't like the 'not wearing black' thing at a funeral - unless you're a Hindu, and then you have to wear white of course.
Can't actually believe how quick that all was.

Schneewittchen said...

Erk, dunno why that came up as Janis. Seems random, but in fact it's not.
Bit like life really.

Sleepy said...

I like the wearing of something dark, unless specifically told not to.
I'm in to a bit of 'Tradition'.
Mate, it would have broken your heart to see Jr.

Anonymous said...

Smudger was a really nice guy, even though he commented unfavorably and too often on my obvious struggle to eliminate an annoying extra bit on the waistline...hahaha....and he would join us for several beers after the famous quiz nights at the school (happy days before Cox or Trimble)...on the way home we would rabbit so much that I remember we managed to walk straight past his gaff at least twice one night.....happy memories...

Sleepy said...

Anon.. Thanks for that!
I always laughed at his utter inabilty to deal with anything puke related at school!