Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Defrosting And Deconstructing

The bastard, whoreson of a freezer defrosted its sorry self.
It only happens if the door is left open but I can’t point the finger at anyone, so I’ve had to get creative on the cooking front.

I know this sounds a bit funky but it tasted lovely.

2 Onions
Bit of Ginger (Finger sized)
Garlic
3-4 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Ground Cumin
¼ tsp Cinnamon
2 tbsp Plain Flour
3 tbsp Tomato Puree
Finely chopped Red Chilli
Big Tub of Natural/Greek Yogurt
1 ½ pints Chicken Stock (defrosted)
Apple Sauce (defrosted)
Peas (defrosted)
Chicken Breasts (defrosted)
Naan Bread (defrosted)
Salt & Pepper

Fry onions until soft.
Add the ginger and the garlic, after a minute or so throw in the seasoning, spices and chilli. Mix through and take the pan off the heat.
Stir in flour, tomato puree and half the yogurt.
Blend together and put back on heat.
Pour in stock and the apple sauce.
Bring to the boil and reduce. Cook for half hour or so.
Chop up chicken and bung in with the peas for 15-20 more minutes.
Stir in the rest of the yogurt at the end.
Then go and find yourself an Army to feed.

Very pleased with myself so I am!

Today I learned that you can grow Cranberries in hanging baskets; to sow Basil seeds in the pots with my established tomatoes and Oregano planted around the base of Peppers keeps the humidity in the soil.

The hardest lesson of the day was, YET AGAIN someone I considered family has betrayed my confidence.
It was like being punched in the guts.
Having learned from previous experience they are now outside of ‘the circle of trust’.
I relaxed. I let my guard down. Obviously that doesn’t work and changes have to be made.
A return to the old days I think.
Mmmm.

4 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Erk on the whole trust thing. That sucks. Actually, it more than sucks.

I suppose the cranberries like the peat in the hanging basket, but I can't see them being great croppers. Thanks for the hint about the Basil and Oregano, I have both of those growing, although Basil doesn't seem to like me too much, I on the other hand, adore it.

The defrost recipe sounds divine.

Sleepy said...

I think I actually went in to shock. I was shaking for about an hour.

The Cranberry thing sounds ideal for limited space.

Dinner was yummers!

Grey Area said...

I haven't had a single meaningful conversation with a member of my family in 20 years, apparently my brother has started reading my blog to 'find out who I am'...I rather like that.

Sassygril said...

Upon reflection I think that this circle was always going to be broken and broken for the most juvenile of justifications - which is exactly what happened. Not that this helps one iota. I don't think that you need to change but the people concerned do and to consider their own motivations for breaking trust.