Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas Carnage

In the words of Ferdinand the Duck from ‘Babe’,

“Christmas? Christmas means dinner, dinner means death! Death means carnage; Christmas means carnage!”

I got six hours of sleep Christmas Eve, that’s almost a coma for me!
My Christmas day started with a cup of tea and the news that two entirely different legends have died.
Charlie ‘ello my darlin’s’ Drake and James Brown.
If you follow my Nan’s thinking, there will be another one. According to her, deaths always come in 3’s.
The first film of the day was The Chronicles of Narnia which has the absolutely cracking line,
‘We are not heroes. We’re from Finchley’!

I peeled sprouts, boring but very necessary. It is a law that sprouts are consumed on Christmas Day. I peeled potatoes and cooked the starter. Scallops with tangerines and it went down a treat! Which was handy, seeing I made it up as I went along. Main meal was stuffed leg of lamb.
Half way through the meal I started thinking about clothes.
What is the point of putting on your best clothes just to eat like a pig and get pissed?.
Surely, you want baggy comfy clothes for such an endeavour.
Anyway.
I drank Macon Village, Puilley Fuisse, Sancerre, Port and Brandy. Ate cheese with blue bits in it. Laughed to the point of tears, got choked up, Had weird and wonderful conversations, sang The Wild Rover at the top of my lungs and danced! Oh Yes! There was dancing.
Later on, there was vomiting. Not mine, thankfully!

So, to end with another ‘Babe’ quote,

“That’ll do pig, that’ll do.”

3 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Congrats on the six hours of kip, I had to read that twice to ckeck I hadn't misread it.
We don't seem to have sprouts for Chrimbo here, sadly - I love 'em, 'specially with chestnuts.
Glad you had a good day -well, dancing, vomiting and much wine sounds like a good day to me.
xx

Schneewittchen said...

Seems your nan was right! Gerald Ford has died....

Sleepy said...

She was a spooky old bird!

She used to 'see' things in the fire.
Her Mum was the same if her hands were in water.