Sunday, December 17, 2006

Cruel And Unusual

Today I have managed to wind myself up over something I don't really agree with. The death penalty.
The Independent newspaper reported the story of a convicted killer put to death earlier this week. Apparently the lethal injection missed his vein and it took 34 minutes for him to die.
So what?
A judge called off the execution of a rapist and murderer because of concerns that "the condemned inmate might suffer an excruciating death".
Again, so what?
Why should they have 'easy' deaths? Did the individuals these people raped and murdered drift off into an easy unconsciousness before dying?
I think not.

On a lighter note, I would like to revisit the issue of the Bishop of Southwick.
I am sure every single one of us has come up with an excuse for our hangover, Bad pint, dirty pipes, food poisoning etc.
Well, get this, the Bishop's spokespeople have come up with one for the reason he was pissed in the first place...
He had a mini stroke! Yeah, Right!
From now on I will not be announcing, "I'm going out on the piss". I will be saying, "Right, I'm off out for a mild brain accident, anyone coming?".

This cracked me up.
A woman called Louise Clark suffered a brain disorder that made her think she was French.
Worse than that, Parisian!
Now, this has got to be one of the quotes of the year.

"It might sound funny to others, but suddenly thinking you are French is terrifying."

Terrifying? Too right Louise, too right!

8 comments:

Crisp-e said...

A stroke!!! What will they think of next…? "The pope couldn't make it to his own funeral because, well...he's not actually dead! Sorry about the misunderstanding it's just that he's such a heavy sleeper"!

On the French thing: sleepy, you have made me shudder at the thought of it. Has to be one of the most bazaar things I have ever heard of.

Sassygril said...

Nooooo, I have always known that I was a Parisienne. It's one reason for my utter rudeness.

And I feel a bit of brain malfunction coming on...anyone for a tipplette???

Sleepy said...

crisp-e.. There was also a Geordie woman who woke up from an operation or something and she spoke like a Jamaican! Full on Yardie accent!

Sassy.. Get pouring Girl!

Crisp-e said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha! I was talking about a similar topic with a colleague on Fri. He's from Guyana. We were talking about the German Jamaicans. What a melting pot; a German Jamaican accent!!!

Another strange accent is that one in Fargo. Where in the US does that come from?

Sassygril said...

The place it was set was Brainerd (or something like that...) and it's not Canada, but somewhere in north america.

Sleepy said...

I thought it was set in Minnesota, although Fargo is in North Dakota but I think that's where the kidnappers came from.

Schneewittchen said...

It is supposed to be Minnesota, the accent is from around there where there were lots of Swedish settlers. Mind you, I don't know where it was actually filmed, a HELL of a lot of US films that are set in the States is actually filmed in Canada, Brokeback Mountain is a good example of that, filmed in ALberta. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Fargo was filmed up here.

I always claim being French whenever I want to drink in dubious places, like at lunchtime at work for example.

Crisp-e said...

Swedish settlers eh! That would certainly explain the twang in the accent.rbaoh