Saturday, December 30, 2006

Executions And Expletives

It’s done then.
Saddam is dead and I have to admit to having a bad feeling about this.

Don’t get me wrong, the man was an absolute horror of a human being. He deserved to be tried for crimes against humanity and to be tried under Iraqi law.
Brutal laws that he played a part in formulating. Laws, that Amnesty and other humanitarian groups having been telling us for years, aren’t even on nodding terms with fairness and justice.
So fucking what?
Tell that to the thousands that he had executed. The 148 men and boys executed for no reason in Dujail. The 100 000 Kurds gassed to death. The unidentifiable remains of 400 000 people, found to date, in over 200 mass graves. 2 million since he came to power.
His trial was a 100 times fairer than theirs.
Those laws were perfectly fine when he was in power, why not now?
It has been argued that he should have been made to live and suffer. How do you do that? Prisoners have rights, lots and lots of rights. He wouldn’t have shut up and his supporters would have had a focus.
Schnee tells me that he said he ‘hated being incarcerated’. Maybe that was reverse psychology! Trying to save his worthless neck. He also wanted to be shot and not hanged like a criminal.

I admit I spent my long, sleepless night watching CNN waiting for footage of his execution.
I’m only human!
When I did see it I was surprised at the calm way he appeared to accept his fate. I know he has managed to convince himself that he is dying as a martyr and that in Islam martyrs go straight to paradise. Still, I have a bad feeling.

Now for a rant.
I hurt my back yesterday. Really bad. I have a dodgy back and I can usually self medicate back to health. Not this time, I have gone into a wicked spasm. Not the pleasant kind.
It got so bad today the emergency doctor was called. It took her 4 and a half hours to call back. Which irked me a bit and did nothing for my already foul mood. She asked all the wanky questions that doctors ask, “Does it hurt?”, “How did you do it?”, “What kind of pain is it?”
Well, the hurting sort of pain!
Not being into BDSM seriously limits my pain adjectives you fucking moron.
FUCK OFF AND GIVE ME DRUGS!!!
Then she asked if I could make it to the Drayton Surgery to which I answered,
“Lady, I can’t make it to the fucking toilet! I can‘t walk.”
“Ok, Ok”, she ponderously replied.
“How about St Mary’s walk in centre?”
I lost it a this point and screamed down the phone,
“Are you taking the fucking piss? A fucking WALK IN centre?”
She saw the error of her ways and agreed to fax my ‘script to the Pharmacy. A Housemate has been dispatched for the lovely Diazepam.
To top off a shitty day, my beloved Spurs lost.

3 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Erk, sorry to hear about the back and the stupid questioning from the doc.

I didn't want Hussein to be executed, I don't think it came anywhere near to atonement for all his atrocities, but like you said, Iraqi law, so to that extent, fair do's.

What I did like was that he was given the red card. Imagine the horror of being one of his victims and out of the blue being given a red card to say you were going to be executed, there was something poetic about turning this, his own invention back on him. And of course there was the humorous aspect because of the red card system at Mayhem.

And of course I like to think about him arriving up there and discovering he'd got it wrong, that God isn't a racist, misogynistic bigot.

Anonymous said...

now is diazepam related to chlorazapam is the question. my friend who was in the psych ward wqas oon chlorazapam (spelling probably wrong) and oddly her name is Pam. interesting.
hope your back feels better, i can't imagine how that would suck.
- Karen

Sleepy said...

Chlorazepam is for people with serious mental conditions. It's more of a sedative. Used for Bi-polar disorders and schizophrenia.

Diazepam is a muscle relaxant.