Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hanging Out....

The last two days I have been catching up on my film watching.
I’ve watched The X-Men, The Da Vinci Code and Pierrepoint.
I was under whelmed by The X Men and mildly entertained by The Da Vinci Code.

The last was an absolute blinder and ironically appropriate with the situation with Saddam Hussain.
What a Gentleman and a gentle man Albert Pierrepoint seemed to be.
He approached his job with such humanity it choked me up at points to watch it.
When he was hanging the Nazi War criminals I wanted them to be begging for their lives, snotting and crying.
I suppose that was the ‘revenge’ element coming out in me.
But as he said, “They’ve paid their debt. Now they are innocent”.
When he had to hang his friend, I think it was one of the most touching scenes I have ever watched.

I’m sure they will have people queuing up to do Saddam. I just hope, for all our souls, they have someone like Albert Pierrepoint.
Someone who will approach it with dignity and see another human being stood before him, no matter how distasteful his crimes. Then afterwards, respectfully, deal with the body of a man who has paid his debt. Someone strong enough to carry the burden of what that job does to a spirit, on behalf of us all.

In 1974 he said,
“I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge; which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people…. The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off…”

This man executed over 600 people in his time. He should know. Wouldn’t hurt to listen.
I will be adding Albert Pierrepoint to my list of heroes and praying that his soul rests in peace.

As many of you are aware, it doesn’t take an awful lot to piss me right off.
Today, it is the calendar.
At the beginning of the year I sit down with the calendar and transfer all the important information from the old one. Birthdays, anniversaries, holidays etc. I cross the days off as we work our way through the year.
Now, one of the Housemates has decided that they are going to do it. This means I don’t get a chance to look at it and miss birthdays.
More to the point, it’s my fucking calendar! Get your own! Tosser.

3 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Oh, I'm deffo going to watch Pierrepoint, although it's called 'The Last Hangman' here, specially as it has the superb Timothy Spall. I have Da Vinci Code to watch, and I'd settle for mildy entertained to be honest, totally with you on the X-Men.

But I don't agree that losing their own one life paid the debt either for the Nazi architects of the Holocaust nor for Hussein. A person can be hanged, or rather could be in the old days, for taking one life, how does this old man atone for the Kurds and the Shiites and all the others?
For me the answer has to be found in the OT,
" 'Vengeance is mine,'sayeth the Lord"
Actually I don't want Hussein to be hanged at all, I want him to have to suffer waves of American Evangelists and civil lawsuits to take all his money bit by bit (I know it must have already been confiscated, but it would make the point) until God decides that enough is enough.

Sleepy said...

Timothy Spall was fantastic in the role but I rate him anyway.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh and the calendar thing - that would drive me insane....