Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

The usual Christmas bollocks is on the TV. Although , I have to admit to enjoying ’Turner and Hooch’ this afternoon. 100 Greatest Inspirational Movies is the one I’m screaming at as I write this.
Forrest Gump, The Wizard of Fucking Oz! The Sound of Music, inspirational? Fucks sake.
I Am agreeing with some though.

Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner.
Seabiscuit
Field Of Dreams
Spartacas
Shawshank Redemption
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.

I lost interest very quickly. I’m sure there were many much better than that, but I could cope with it no longer.
It did make me think though, I’ve never been able to re-watch Schindler’s List. It’s one of the very few films that I have seen at the cinema.
I never go. I can’t sit still long enough or stop myself from shouting out.

Who has had the Christmas card with the ’Seasonal Newsletter’ in it? Fuck off… I couldn’t give a shit. Their lives always sounds so much more interesting than mine.
’We spent our holiday in Bali’, ‘Tarquin is going to Cambridge’, and ’We bought a castle’.
If they just mentioned ONE nice thing they had done for someone else, I’d read it.
That never happens.
It’s all about ‘Conspicuous Consumption’ and Wealth.
What really burns is that I’m related to or know people who think that’s important.
Even worse, they imagine that it’s important to me.

Just a question…. Who told you there was no Santa?

4 comments:

Sassygril said...

Aaaah, the seasonal newsletter...I have lost what I thought were good mates (well one) due to the seasonal newsletter - for exactly the reasons you stipulate. The conspicuous consumption, the overwheening social climing allied to that and the idea that this is of interest or importance to me. I've had the skiing trip to Gstaad (yawn), the trips to Bali (sooo last year), the proposal of marriage in Raffles Hotel, Singers (go there twice yearly now dontcha know)...

Nothing about the events that touched them, the difficulties, the laughs, the relationships. The only one who gave a humane account of his year was my cousin who is having to face up to marital breakdown after 25 years of marriage.

As I grow older, and as things happen to people I love - the inevitability of bodily and mental decline, death and all else - I can't take the crap any more. And I wonder what happened to these people I used to love and why intimacy has been replaced by letters of trips to Gstaad.

Sleepy said...

That's it, exactly!!

Schneewittchen said...

Dammit! I wrote a comment and then it wouldn't load up so I lost it.

Anyway, gist was that I don't get why ppl have to send those letters because with the internet you get to know what's going on with your friends on a regular basis anyway.

I liked the 'round-up' in yesterday's post about things you'd learnt or done for the first time during the year. Made me think about what I had learnt, good exercise.

I think with the material stuff, ppl are just trying to convince themselves there's some meaning to their own emotionally impoverished existences.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh and who told me there was no Father Christmas? Don't think anyone did, it just kinda started to not add up.