Thursday, January 18, 2007

BB POV

Today I have seen a dustbin lid fly down the middle of the street at head height. The aerial ripped off the roof of the house across the road.
Horizontal rain.
People have been killed and injured. The wind got up to 90mph and there were 25ft waves along the seafront.
Crisp packet and leaf tornadoes in my forecourt and clouds moving so fast they made me feel a bit sick. I haven’t seen a single bird and there are usually loads of Magpie’s tormenting Murphy the Murderous Feline. He likes to sit in the window and chunter at them.
According to the news, windows were blown out on the pier and Southsea Common is flooded.
The hosepipe ban has been lifted though.

Right, the Big Brother thing.
I’ve read as much as I can from lots of sources and this is what I make of it.
Yep, there is racist bullying going on.
Why are we surprised at that? You put white, working class wannabe bitches in a house with an educated upper class Indian and expect it to work out?
They cannot ‘compete’ with her on any other level.
She’s gorgeous, speaks 5 or 6 languages and is an absolute star in her world.
Their innate ‘colonialism’ was bound to surface.
I think what people are finding more shocking, is the fact that they thought nothing of it, until it was pointed out to them.
People, who in a million years, would never consider themselves racist.
If you doubt it.
Check out the number of complaints made by the public the 2 days before and the day after the news broke the story.
A lot of people didn’t KNOW to be outraged before they were TOLD to be.
Check out what Ken Russell called Miss Goody and her family.
I think he used the word ‘Guttersnipe’.
Brilliant word! My Nan used it!
Jeremy Paxman was quick to say that not all British ‘white’ people were racist.
Ok. Thanks for that.
In the same way that not all Muslims are terrorists then?
Many of the stories felt the need to point out that Miss Shetty was a Hindu.
Would it make a difference if she wasn’t? Would we mind a little bit less if she was Muslim?

Let’s also not forget why these people are in the Big Brother house in the first place.
I, in all honesty, had never heard of Shilpa Shetty before all this started, Bollywood films are not my thing.
You can guarantee we’ll be hearing loads about her from now on. Anyone fancy a bet on how long it is before we see her in a “Hollywood” film?
Viewer numbers were dropping off. They are up to 5 million again.
Although, Carphone Warehouse has pulled it’s sponsorship.
My inner conspiracy theorist has come up with the idea of 2 Big Brother execs playing a sort of ‘Trading Places’ game with Jade Goody.
A ‘we make her in one series and ruin her in another’ scenario.
If so, one of them has just won a huge bet!

3 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Bloody hell, sounds a bit hectic there.
I was going to say hahahaha on the hosepipe ban being lifted, but then I thought, yeah, might not actually be a joke.
Funny, my friend Beth, another Brit, was talking about the BB stuff this evening. I said that it sounded more like a class thing than anything else.
Guttersnipe is a fabulous word and so appropriate.

Sleepy said...

It is totally to do with class but isn't that the nature of racism?

Sleepy said...

The hosepipe ban is ALWAYS a joke!