Monday, January 22, 2007

Feck, Salvage And Opus Pocus

Today I have been amused by a couple of things and pissed off by one.
First, the news that two Irish islands are fighting about which one should host the first Father Ted festival.
They are the Aran Islands of Inis Mor and Inis Oirr.
It’s just whinging and bitching at the moment, but I’m waiting for it to kick off!
I hope they solve it in a typically Father Ted way. Have a jumper ‘knit off’ or something.
Battle of the Cable Stitch.

The other one is a total ‘Whiskey Galore’ moment some people are enjoying on the beach in Branscombe, Devon.
Hundreds of containers have been swept off the beached MSC Napoli.
The lunch time news showed people wheeling BMW motorbikes away, rolling massive oak wine barrels up the beach.
For some it was a family affair, kids running about collecting shoes and trainers while the parents picked up car parts and huge packets of nappies.
All the roads in to the town have been closed, but it hasn’t stopped people walking down and taking the risk that they grab hold of something smothered in sulphuric acid.
What do they expect?
Smuggling and luring ships on to rocks to be wrecked has been a West Country pastime for 800yrs!
I had to read Moonfleet by J Meade Falkner when I was at school, bored the tits off me!

I see the ‘stunning’ Ruth Kelly is in the news again.
Actually, I should start that, devout Catholic and Opus Dei member, Ruth Kelly is in the news again.
As Communities Secretary, whatever the fuck THAT is, she is trying to mess with the Equality Act that was passed last year.
The Act bans,
‘discrimination in the provision of goods, facilities and services on the basis of sexual orientation’.
Ruth Kelly is trying to get Catholic adoption agencies exempt from having to follow this.
Tony Blair is backing her on this, he also worships with the Church of Rome.
No fucking connection there then.
Curious.
How much more blatant does this fucking government have to get?

7 comments:

LentenStuffe said...

I once heard a theo-illogician blame the decline of papism in Ireland on Father Ted and his tourette syndrome side-kick, Father Jack and his imbecile, Father Dougal! "It was all over once they let that tripe on the telly," and hence the emergence of Ireland from the Dark Ages, the end of Thomistic reason, and of course the export of our Opus Dei disciples far and wide ... Did you say Ruth Kelly?

Schneewittchen said...

What?! Ireland is out of the Dark Ages? J/K

Actually, I believe the government is not on board with Ms (closet) Kelly at all. Tony has been wrangling with them and they're not having any.
Still at least Ruthie is consistent, she was crap at being Education secretary, now she's crap at being ...whatever it is she is.

I like the bit about the Catholic Church having more of a duty to adopt since they are morally opposed to abortion. Apparently this means they often take older and more difficult to place children. They will also place children with single gay people but not couples. Can't follow that logic.

Good that Devon ppl are such great recyclers.

Sleepy said...

lentenstuffe... I love most Irish exports, Paddy Powers, proper corned beef, road building, Dara O'Briain.
If she is an Irish export, we don't want her anymore.
Isn't there some kind of 'Aliyah' that can be applied?!
Murphyah?

Aquinas pinched all his ideas from Maimonides anyway!
Seems the Catholics can't shake those Jewish roots!

Schnee.. She is just so shite.. They are all shite.

Don't get me started on the church in Ireland!
You know the venom that can bring out.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh anyway, I think the thing to do it to get Helen Mirren to speak to Tony about this. Or just give him a withering look.

Sleepy said...

Haven't seen her as HRH yet.
I'll have to wait 'til it's on cable.

Sassygril said...

Just before I left for Honkers some persons came knocking on my door asking my views as to whether religion was leading the world in the right direction. I had to control myself quite substantially and restricted myself to a Bogart-eaque snarl before I slammed the door in their faces. I claim the right to be secular and to have a government that is so. They weren't elected to represent their religious views but those of their electorate. But hey, Tony didn't take that one into account when he instigated the Iraq war with his mate, so I guess we've got no fucking chance. Just makes me itchy to get our Gordo into number 10. He might be a son of the manse, but he doesn't shove his sense of gaad down our screetches...Oh god, started again...

Sleepy said...

We got them as well.
Fortunately, I didn't answer the door!