Monday, June 18, 2007

Bruises, Tribes And Books

This is the attractive shade of purple my knee is today!
It also shows how shite at leg shaving I am but I held my hands up to that a long time ago.
Knees are fecking awkward shaped things to be messing about with, especially with something sharp.
From the look of it, I could also do with some sun before I get fucking Rickets.

A stroke of channel hopping luck meant that I surfed into one of my favourite episodes of ‘Tribe‘, with Bruce Parry.
A great series that follows Bruce as he totally immerses himself in the life and culture of some of the ‘last tribes’ of the world.
In this episode he spends time with the Sanema people of the Venezuelan Amazon and takes part in their Shamanistic festival.
Basically, his skin is painted and DMT is fired up his nose.
While he is preparing for his experience he comes out with some brilliant lines,
“I haven’t eaten in 24hrs, I’m wearing a second-hand loincloth, I’m covered in red paint and about to take a massive dose of Hallucinogen. Not your usual Thursday.”
Quite, Bruce. Quite.

The day has been gorgeous, although rain and storms of biblical proportions are forecast for tomorrow.
Wellies are going to be a must for Glastonbury, big time!
At 7.15pm I was sat on my apple tree log, with the ipod, a freezing cold bottle of Bud, the warm sun setting behind a horizon of roofs, reading Richard Dawkins’ The G-d Delusion.
Diablo Rojo by Rodrigo y Gabriela was shuffled into the mix and ironically, I’ve never felt more convinced that there WAS a Supreme Being.
I closed my eyes and absorbed the world from my little corner of it.
A moment of pure bliss.

I have finished Bogmail by Patrick McGinley and did The Portable Virgin by Anne Enright in one hit this morning.
Many thanks to Lenten for those.
I will get them logged on www.bookcrossing.com and ‘release’ some and take some to Canada for Schnee to read and release.
Dawkins and Will Self tomorrow.
Fabulous!

5 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Yeeeehaaa!!!!! :)

Sleepy said...

I'll be bring a case full of books and knickers, buying the rest of the clothing there!
(Don't trust foreign knickers!)

LentenStuffe said...

You know, you received that 'soccer injury' in the very same post as you waxed eloquent about SeƱor Beckham. I'd say there's a connection, tenuous enough, granted, but a connection nonetheless.

Aren't we the pale breed all the same?

Sassygril said...

oooh, when do you go and for how long? Must ensure Claire sitting arrangements are all in place as well as any necessary attendance for the princesses!

Pissing it down, no?

Crisp-e said...

Mate, that looks nasty!