Thursday, June 07, 2007

Shampoo And Shrines

This morning I got shampoo in my fecking eye.
I was so cross!
I had forgotten what a stingy bastard that is, but it immediately transported me back to my childhood.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can remember being sat in the bath, with a folded flannel over my face, as ATM poured jugs of water over my head.
The flannel was to keep the stingy shampoo out of my eyes.
For some reason I used to hold my breath, thinking that I would drown otherwise!
We then progressed onto the shower contraption with rubber bits that were jammed onto the taps.
Ours was used over the kitchen sink, with the person receiving the ‘hair wash’ holding the things on the taps.
The water pressure would fire them off, soaking all concerned in the process if you didn‘t.
When my Grandmother or ATM washed their hair, they would wind a towel up into a turban type affair around their heads.
I’ve NEVER managed to do that!
They could walk around, vacuum and wash up in theirs; I couldn’t even walk out of the bathroom without it all collapsing.

I have a question.

The Chemist has been in Sligo visiting the Nutty Daddy and the Sane Mammy.
A trip to the shrine at Knock was involved.
Knowing my absolute horror of the place she attempted to buy me a Virgin Mary with a twist off head, full of Holy Water.
I shudder at the thought.
The Anti Terror Laws saved me from that nastiness.
Not allowed more than 100mls of fluid in hand luggage!
Instead, I have a Tricolour-ed stick of ‘Knock Rock’ with every E number imaginable in it!

But back to my question.
Is there a dispensation for Holy Water on flights?

All reading for fun is on hold in the ‘Collective’ at the moment.
Claire, bought and read, The Breast Cancer Book by Val Sampson and Debbie Fenlon.
Claire is a very reserved person and kind offers from people to, ‘introduce her to someone who has been through it’ are just not her.
Like some of us (Not you Crisp-e! Before you get all hectic again!!) pick up our information through reading, Claire is one of those.
She reckons the book is excellent, so we are all reading it.
Sassy after me!
Schnee, perhaps you could suggest it to Canadian Karen and her ‘readers’.
She had her MRI today and starts chemotherapy next Thursday at St Mary’s.
From then on Sleepy Mansions will be a ‘Smoke Free Zone’.
I know, I know…. I bitch about the smoking ban but that I count as the body Nazis bullying me.
Chemo can make people feel really sick.
Smoking stinks.
I don’t want anything in the house to make Claire feel any worse.

On a brighter note..
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sassy!
The Birthday Cake we started this afternoon has been decimated.

4 comments:

Sassygril said...

I have had the most fun birthday in ages. I think everyone should have such on their day of birth. Cake, shoes, dresses and beer. What more can a sane person want? I even managed to take in a wonderful Channel 4 programme about the novel which took in Bellow and Roth. This just added to happy bliss.
All good helpful thoughts to Claire alongside any help she needs to get well. Life and our lives have many challenges and quests, this had to be one of ours, no?

Sleepy said...

Glad you staggered in to finish the day with wine at Sleepy Mansions!

Schneewittchen said...

Happy Birthday Sassy!!!! Glad it was a good 'un.
I'd like the same only without the cake and beer. Choclit and wine'd be good tho:) (And the company)

I will certainly mention it to CK - although Calvin Klein rarely listens to my recommendations about books, but well, you know.

Wow, do I ever remember the flannels and the water pouring, also the little rubber bits that kept coming off the taps, for some reason they always seemed to actually be a different shape from the tap.
I learned very young to do the turban thingie, still do it.

It'd be good if they did have an exemption for Holy Water, cos then somewhere along the line someone'd have to test it and then we'd find out whether it had any special ingredients.

Is the MRI the thing that looks like it would give you severe and extreme claustrophobia? If so, what was it like?

Sleepy said...

Schnee.. The MRI is the claustrophobic thing and that's how she found it.

Lymph, neck and stomach are all fine but they found another lump.
They are going straight for chemo to shrink them, so they are in lumpectomy territory rather than, 'whop that tit off' territory. They are going to take the Lymphs under her arm.
I see that has 'Hard Pruning', take a bit of healthy stuff just in case....
But in herself, she is very up and positive. And you know how irreverent I can be!