Saturday, June 02, 2007

Derby Day

I wasn’t much impressed with England last night. Yet again, they managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory.
It was nice to see Beckham playing at the new Wembley and there were some good individual performances, his included.
But on the whole, they weren’t much cop.
Was Lampard even playing?
Another thing I’ve noticed is to do with National Anthems. Why do South American anthems always have such long intros? Same with Italy, the singing seems to start suddenly, halfway through.
While on the subject of Italians.
FRANKIE DETTORI! After 14 attempts he has won The Derby!
What a horse! What a Jockey!

There was a programme on BBC2 called The Victoria Cross: For Valour.
It was a documentary about the award and those who received it.
People, I cried.
Some of the stories were so amazing, I sat opened mouthed.
The Ghurka in Burma who was the furthest forward, throwing grenades out of his dug out as fast as they were coming in. One blew in his hand, taking off his fingers and shattering his arm.
He was loading and shooting his rifle with one hand. When support arrived, he had repelled the attack and there were 31 enemy dead.
Robert Henry Cain at Arnhem, had a shell more or less explode in his face as he was firing on tanks. He went blind for a bit but when his sight returned he was back at it. Shrapnel was stuck in his blackened face and his trousers had been blown off.

Heroes.

These men didn’t come home with any kind of “Syndrome” or looking for compensation.
They fought for King and Country.
Having taught History I know our kids don’t get told about heroes anymore.
No more Nelson’s, No more Monty’s.
They ‘write’ essays about Vietnam.
I say ‘write’, but they are given a Writing Frame which they basically copy into their own words, if capable, or word for word if not.
As Jeremy Clarkson, who was presenting, said
‘….. and Beckham is a hero for scoring a penalty’.

5 comments:

Sassygril said...

One day responsible commentators and media figures will start using the English language appropriately. Not in my lifetime tho'.

Schneewittchen said...

Ooh! Damsel fly. Pretty :)

Yeah, that kind of heroism is what being British is all about, and I'm with you that they need to be telling kids about heroes again, real ones, not comic book ones. I don't think I ever got Florence Nightingale as a heroine until long after primary school, but she was there in my head always, waiting for me to understand just what she did.

And yes, I know that the Ghurkas are Nepalese but for some reason part of the British Army.

Crisp-e said...

The Stranglers were oh so right!

Sassy, close your ears. I'm glad Becks is back!! lol

teknonra said...

hi Babs,.
nice to see you both the other day, even if I didn’t really come around JUST to see how you were!!! :)
I see you've branched out into sports commentary since I last looked.:)
your right. HERO is banded around so much that to become a national 'hero' one only has to step on to the hallowed turf at Wembley stadium.
it was nice to read in the news that one of those very heroes ( a V.C. medal holder no less!!) has won his right to live in this country!!! up until his reprieve he was going to be man handled on to a plane, how’s that for appreciation!!

Sleepy said...

Tek!.. You're back!
'Ow am ya?
Been practising my 'Brummie'!!