Thursday, May 01, 2008

May First

I had a wonderful surprise this afternoon.
My ex brother in law was insistent that I go round at a certain time, not something he has done before.
I was worried that he might be having one of his ‘breaks with reality’, so shot round there.
Instead I saw the Niece and Nephew I haven’t seen in nearly six years.

They have grown up so much.
Obviously.
My niece is so like my sister it’s uncanny. To look at, her mannerisms, the way she speaks, everything.
But she’s still in there, the baby I saw born nineteen years ago next month.
My Loz.
The Nephew is gorgeous. Tall, handsome and frighteningly bright.
He is studying Accountancy, Economics, Business Studies and Critical Thinking at college.
They both have great senses of humour.
Very similar to mine and my sister’s.
We laughed a lot and it was so comfortable. No awkwardness or silences.
It has made my year!
I’ve missed them so much.
It took all my self control not to launch myself at them.
From seeing them every day from the moment they were born to nothing was a heartbreak I hope I never feel again.
It was a physical pain for a long time.
I got hugs and kisses when I left and I don’t think I’ve stopped smiling yet.

Today is local Election Day so I went and did my duty, especially as it’s International Workers Day.
I’m still missing the May Day Parade from Moscow.
Red flags, tanks and Goose Stepping. Ho Hum.
What is it with people not telling you how they voted?
I can remember asking my Grandfather and him reacting as if I’d broken some huge taboo.
I would also like to know who those people sitting outside are and why they want to look at my voting card?
Not that they ever get to see it.
When they ask they get my politest,
‘Can you bollocks!’

I’m hoping to Christ that the ‘Irish’ characters don’t stay too long in the new series of “Heroes”.
Piss poor accents I can just about cope with, but a brother with a Southern accent and the sister with a Northern one is just fecking appalling.

This is my tune of the day.

4 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Oh my goodness! How brilliant with your niece and nephew. Fantastic.

Oh my life, that woman's 'Irish' accent. It's abysmal! And she's not even American, she's bloody cockney or something. I mean, who the feck can't do an Irish accent? (Well, I know someone here who makes it sound like a Liverpudlian throwing up, but at the very least she's not an actor).

Sleepy said...

She's got to go!

Sassygril said...

Heeeeyyyy, I always hoped that you would connect again with the babies. It's wonderful news.

Also, the reason they want to see your polling card is so that they don't need to send anyone round to knock you up (so to speak). They know you've voted and can leave you alone!

And adored the Orb. One of my favourite bands.

Sleepy said...

It was just amazing to see the kids!
I was like a dog with 2 dicks.

The Orb merits a place in every music collection.