Sunday, May 04, 2008

May Third

This is the frog that has set up home in my mini pond!
She is called Annie.

I spent most of my day in the garden trying to work out what were weeds and what weren’t.
I’m pretty piss poor at recognising seedlings.
Tomatoes, Tobacco plants and Cannabis are all I can identify with 100% certainty.
Basically I just pull everything up until someone tells me otherwise.
Huge amounts were hacked, um, I mean, pruned from the Bay tree and the Rosemary bushes.
Neither seems to compost well and the bin men won’t take garden waste.
My inner pyromaniac combusted in my mind, waving matches and enticing me with firelighters.
So I decided to burn it and was immediately faced with the problem highlighted by Peter Kaye.
“You are never sure if it’s legal to have a bonfire in your garden”.
An attempt at lateral thinking and a large joint led me to the Barbeque.
Bay and Rosemary smell lovely when burning, helpfully masking the smell of the other crap I cremated.
A few snails were accidentally roasted, so I’m going to have to do something to restore the Karmic balance.
It was quite smokey and I smell a tad like charred Bouquet Garni.
There is also this plant/mutant thing I liberated from Sassy’s garden last summer.
Back then in was about 10 inches high.
Look at the Triffid fecker now!
The bits at the top seem to be the flowers and if you cut leaves off, it “bleeds” white, milky stuff.
I’m wondering if it is some kind of basic Aloe.
I love it though. It has great form.
Plus it just looks so prehistoric and basic.
Any help in identifying it would be greatly received.




Mr and Mrs Next Door With The Kids had a blazing row this afternoon.
I heard her shout,
"I could understand it if it was Manchester United or Liverpool but it's CARDIFF!"
Call me psychic, but I feel it in my water that Mr Next Door WTK, will not be going to the FA Cup Final!



10 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Woah, cool froggie photo. Are you sure it's not a toad?
No idea at all what the plant is. Triffid is prolly correct.
Holy Carp, has Mariah Carey had a boob job? Sorry, watching SNL.
Hahaha, good plan on the Barbie, I'm sure I've done that in the past too :)

Sassygril said...

I'm with Schnee (I think I need to get a default thing on the laptop as I seem to write this with incredibly regularity), it looks like a toad. In the early days of my garden, I had loads of toads - mainly, I think, to the next door neighbour's pond. They seem to do really well if they have lots of damp and dark places to hang out.

And I do know what the name of the plant is but it won't come to mind...they will overrun your garden if you are not ruthless with them as they seed like fuck.

Sleepy said...

I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference between frogs and toads.
A job for the Tame Zoologist....
Crisp-e, do you thang!

Artemesia said...

Sleepy..

I found an illustrations here:
http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/view?docId=ft587006gh&chunk.id=0&doc.view=print
Of:
http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/data/13030/gh/ft587006gh/figures/ft587006gh_00004.jpg

That is of:

Lychnis umbellifera montana helvecita/Lychnis à umbelles.
(From Estampes; drawn by Robert, engraved by Chastillon;
photograph courtesy of Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris.)

It looked like a close relative..does your plant ever ‘bloom?’
A

Sleepy said...

Hi Artemesia... Thanks for the info.
Yes, the flower is actually in bloom in the photo... Not that impressive!

Sleepy said...

Result!
The plant is a Euphorbia Lathyris.
Also known as Caper Spurge, Paper Spurge, Mole Plant and Gopher Weed.

Schneewittchen said...

Ah....Euphorbia! I should have known.

Toads have more bumpy skin than frogs, also, they can't jump very well.

Sleepy said...

Schnee.. Crisp-e reckons it's a common frog.
It doesn't look lumpy and bumpy enough to be a toad.

Artemesia said...

I love your Annie..And I adored Margaret Rutherford whom I suspect was a very nice person..but Annie did make me think of her:

Margaret Rutherford
http://www.mkschubert.de/gb/marple.gif
http://www.sofacinema.co.uk/guardian/images/products/7/22517-large.jpg
A

Sleepy said...

I loved Margaret as Madam Arcarte!

Although we share the same birthday she is not my ultimate Miss Marple.
Joan Hickson is!