Monday, May 19, 2008

May Nineteenth

On my way back from the shops this morning I was accosted by a bloke who started jabbering away to me in Polish.
I stood shaking my head saying, “English. I speak English”.
He took a step back with a look of shock on his face.
Then he called his friend over, who fortunately did speak English.
He explained the where looking for directions to a road. I told them where it was then asked why his friend had spoken Polish to me if he had an English speaker with him.
He told me that his friend was absolutely convinced I was Polish and still was!
“You look Polish! You look so familiar to us!”
He then went on to say that they hoped I wasn’t offended.
I told him that one of my Great Grandfather’s was Polish, which he translated to his friend.
More excited Polish.
“My friend says He knew it!”
A bizarre start to the day.

My little ‘bucket’ pond was getting some nasty, slimey green algae in it.
Crisp-e recommended buying a barley straw thing to go in there. Apparently it helps with the problem.
I had some straw that the tortoises used to sleep in, so I stuffed it in one of those net things that you get onions in and sank it in the pond.
It works a treat!
The water has cleared, the slimey shit has gone and I can see to the bottom.
There is a Newt down there!
Nice tip Crisp-e and thank you.

Spare a thought for poor old Kenny the cat.
He has sunburn!
The pink bits around his nose and lips are swollen and sore.
I have tried to get cream on him but the git licks it off.
Any tips or ideas will be gratefully received.

3 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Straw huh? Who knew, I wonder if it'd work for our pond at work, have to heave in a couple of bales I guess.
And lucky you to find a newt in there!
Poor Kenny. If he listened to the Boots ads more carefully he'd have put his sunscreen on.

That Polish thing is just wrong. Alex has had that happen to her too. Just wrong.

Sleepy said...

It's got to be Barley Straw and Yes.. Mel's my put a couple of bales in hers and it sorted the Blanket Weed.

Sleepy said...

My = Mum...

Fingers aren't working.. Loaded with painkillers!