Friday, January 16, 2009

It Looks Like War

Guerrilla leafleters were out and about last night.
Posters have appeared on the trees of Aliens Rd rallying us to save them ALL from being cut down.
Having thought about it and after some consultation with Dad, I’ve decided that taking the tree down may cause more damage to Sleepy Mansions than leaving it there.
The house already leans noticeably to the right so fuck knows what dying, shrinking roots would do.
Probably make it collapse in on itself like the Money Pit that it is.
So I ‘phoned the number on the poster to find out what was going on.

I got through to Shirley McSurly at the council helpdesk.
Fucking misnomer that.
It went like this.
“Good Morning, could you tell me what is happening to the trees in Aliens Rd please?”
Huge sigh, then she started to talk.
From her tone and pitch I could tell this wasn’t her first call of the day on the subject, so I stopped her.
“Stop. Just tell me, are ALL of the trees being cut down?”
Huge sigh,
‘No-ah. Just the diseased, the dangerous and those causing damage to property’.
“What if cutting the trees down actually causes damage to my property? What happens then?”
‘You’d have to take that up with Colas.’
“Why have we only been given a week’s notice that works were going to occur but no mention that trees were going to be cut down? Is that so we couldn’t do anything about it?”
‘You were informed in December that this was happening.’
“Liar! I have the letter in front of me dated the 9th of January!”
‘You were….’
“Liar!”
‘If you continue to be aggressive I will hang up on you.’
Talk about a red rag!
I was almost biting my knuckle with effort to keep ‘it’ in.
I couldn’t.
“Fucking Liars!”
She hung up.

Later in the afternoon Colas people turned up, looked at the posters and spoke on mobile phones.
I tried to speak to one of them but they were having none of it and were in their van and gone pretty swiftish.
Sassy found out from her emails to our local Councillors that 12 of the 15 trees along the road are marked for death.
Not good.

Housemate Pat is home.
Today she cooked something that smelled so rank, I puked in the sink seconds after walking in to the kitchen.
“You sick?” she said.
‘Er, fucking YES!’
“You eat something bad?”
‘No! I smelled something bad!’
She laughed at my little ‘joke’ and trundled off upstairs with her bowl of slurry.
I’m fighting my every instinct to hide the saucepans.

It’s about time someone said something.
Fucking knob.
Where’s a Muslim fundamentalist when you need one?

Best text of the day was from a train using Sassy,
‘Goats! Fucking Goats at Kentish Town!’

11 comments:

Sassygril said...

Oh those goats. Big feckers too on a steep railway embankment. Joyous to behold so they were!

I am going to get in touch with the News on the trees after we have spoken with Guy the builder tomorrow. I'm also going to see if I can get in touch with anal Garry via facebook as he could prolly give chapter and verse.
Thank god we are educated, middle class and just don't take it lying down! Personally I always preferred other positions than prone :-)

And before you get all oooh er with me, you were the one who suggested I think about pulling a pig at today's funeral service. Now THAT is shameless...

Sleepy said...

You've done good work with the trees.
Round of applause for Councillor Stubbs though.
Yeah, good one with The News.

There are always single men at funerals.
One of them quite recently single!

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

funerals...picking someone up...sounds like this.

http://bosneverspace.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!6132E601D2CB7868!363.entry?sa=82927992

Sassygril said...

That's an inspired reference. There's something about that diary entry that reads very true...mind you I've never had a bit of how's yer father at a funeral. Neither have I ever seen someone at one who I fancied a comfort bonk with. There was a ZZ Top lookalike, but I resisted :-)

Sleepy said...

ZZ Top? Christ! I admire your restraint.

I've never done it at a funeral.
In a church, in a convent, at a wedding, at a confirmation but not at a funeral.
It seems a bit rude.
But I don't see why you couldn't get a phone number!

Schneewittchen said...

That just stretches my belief beyond its elastic limit.
Sleepy never done the deed at a funeral...nah, pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Sassygril said...

Apart from the ZZ Top thing going on, he was very ginger.

Garry also replied to facebook enquiry - will catch up with you later. Not good. We need to stop this shit before they destroy the fucking road in its entirety.

****s

Crisp-e said...

It doesn’t surprise me about the trees. At the end of the day we don't really have a say in anything, just the illusion that we do. Cunts!


On the pat thing: LOL LOL LOL!

Sleepy said...

Schnee.. Tis true!

Crisp-e.. I'll be chained to mine on Monday morning.
I knew that would make you laugh.
Only another as sensitive to smells would laugh at my misfortune.

WV.. duckiarm.. Sounds like something Gay men get.

Leigh Russell said...

Typical, a week's notice. Like Hitchhiker's Guide, isn't it. Except it's not funny when it happens for real, more like insane.

Artemesia said...

You need a real Eft strike..a Tolkien march down your street. A protest from the trees..I bet there are some Tolkien people who would be glad to help! You could probably find an appropriate (close by)Tolkien group on the web. I can see it now..Efts on the march. Trees are not match sticks. If you try to strike them down, we will strike back!
A