Friday, January 09, 2009

Toast And Ice

Today, I have mostly cooked.
I have cut Carbohydrates out of my diet and I’m suffering.
It would seem I have a serious Carb Habit.
I would commit murder for a couple of slices of toast and Marmite.
Sadly, I have even coveted Housemate Claire’s diabetic bread.
I’ve made French Onion Soup and a Beef Sausage and Butternut Squash Casserole.

It didn’t get above -2 in the Sleepy Mansions garden all day today.
I had to take a hammer to the ice on the pond and managed to fucking cut myself on it.
The ice, not the hammer.
It was my intention to plant the garlic but once I got out there I was distracted and ended up pruning the Plum tree.
The earth has frozen solid so there is icy cat shit all over the place.
Most pleasant.

My highlight came while out collecting rent. There were some of his mates there with him.
As I waited for payment I asked what they were watching.
A young man who looked like he had been slightly starved of oxygen at birth told me,
“The Diary of Anne Frank innit”
“Oh,” I said “I’m not watching that, I know how it ends.”
He looked at me and in all seriousness said,
“Ah right, have you seen it before then?”
I studied him for hints of humour, there were none.
The brother in law just shook his head and I grinned all the way home.

9 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Carbs are my weakness, more than chocolate even. I understand your pain...

Janis Hindman said...

You'd be amazed at what yu can spread Marmite on. I also make it into a hot drink to deal with my cravings. It is, in my opinion, the sign of a civilised society to crave Marmite.

Sleepy said...

You'd be horrified at what I have ACTUALLY spread marmite on!
I like it has a hot drink but not too often as it's so salty.

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

SHE'S IN THE CUPBOARD!!!!!!!!

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

a clarification of the above post...for the young 'uns.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/zadora.asp

Sleepy said...

Richard.. LOL! LOL!

Schneewittchen said...

hohoho..:))(the Pai Zadora story)

Ohmygod, I actually heard someone SAY LOL yesterday, just as a response in a conversation. Instead of laughing she actually said LOL!!!!

Some Chilean Woman said...

LOL out loud? Wow! I thought "I heart you" and "you're my bff" were bad enough!

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

I never use stuff like 'Lol' - I imagine the person on the other end tutting loudly at my desperate attempt to be hip and young.