Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Lesson Learned

The lesson of the day.

It’s probably best not to have your hair cut by a man who has,
“Just seen that bitch (soon to be ex wife) in Waitrose buying ice! Buying ice! But tells me she has no money for the kids. Doesn’t the fucking freezer make ice?”

Fortunately he started with the clippers and had calmed down a bit before it was time for scissors.
He caught my ear twice but assured me he would leave it on.
I thanked him, explaining what a boon two are for one who wears glasses.
Complaining wasn’t really an option considering I had negotiated the price down to a gents cut.
Arguing that clippers made it quicker and I didn’t want it washed, so it didn’t warrant the arse rapey women’s price.
I think I’ll stick with him because as wound up as he was he still noticed, and mentioned, every peculiarity with my hair.
‘Whoa! Wicked double crown!’
‘Ooh! You have a weird thing going on at the back here’
‘Christ! A cowlick at the front too!’
I think he’s done a good job, I smell like ‘chemicals’ and my hair is stiff but it only cost me £19.

I had coffee with Janis this afternoon.
What I really love about this whole blog thing is that it makes it feel it wasn’t ages ago I last saw her.
Vancouver doesn’t seem that far away.
We just sat down at the table with our mugs and ‘picked up’ a conversation.
Love it.

Tomorrow I am going on an ‘Away Mission’ to a funeral in Brighton.
I didn’t know the dead person but I’m going as moral support for someone who did.
It’s going to be an opportunity for a Social Anthropology study.
Apparently the family is just as dysfunctional as mine.
Should be an interesting trip.
I’ll report back with my findings.

As you were.

6 comments:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Glad you were able to keep your ears. My sister cuts my hair for freeee! She's really calm, but she is pregnant now so things might change. If I end up with a mullet you know why...

Sleepy said...

Christ! I wouldn't let anyone related to me near my head with anything remotely sharp.

Schneewittchen said...

Matey did a good job! Yer right about the blog thingy and ongoing convo.

SCW - If you end up with a mullet, we need to see it so that we can mock - you know we're entitled :)

WV = gautbacr...seriously?

Some Chilean Woman said...

Schnee -funny enough, I begged for one when I was a kid and I have pictures to prove it.

Grey Area said...

many years ago when I was solvent I loaned my barber some money, he's a very good barber but due to some awful health problems and 2 small children, he will never be able to pay me back, as a result I now have free haircuts for life, and very good they are too. Best investment I ever made.

A mate used to work for social services in Brighton dealing with family and child protection legal issues...you will never find a more fucked-up, dysfunctional, sinister and deranged population. Whatever you do, avoid The Whitehawk and Moulscombe estates - or we may never see you again ( they eat people...honest! )

Sassygril said...

For a truly anthropological study you need to retain a high degree of detachment from your study population. You sure you are on for that??? Esp after a wake? Going to a funeral on Friday - really odd to be going back to my hometown after seven and a half years.

Schnee - sorry I didn't get to join for coffee but I was teaching. Don't usually let that get in the way of anything, but sometimes even my best plans get trashed.