Monday, March 19, 2007

25 And Counting

I can tell you exactly what I was doing 25 years ago today!
I know, amazing for a person who couldn't tell you what they were doing yesterday.

I was playing truant!

25 years ago today the British fleet left for the Falkland Islands. I was stood on the beach at Southsea, listening to 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina', blasting from massive speakers on the deck of Ark Royal.
Most of my year group was there, waving off their Dads, Brothers, and Uncles. I was there for my uncle, who was on HMS Glamorgan.
He came home, many of those kids never saw their loved ones again.
I would also like to add that none of those families I knew, who lost someone wanted to claim money from the Government.
Their loved ones died doing their job and they were proud of them.
If you want to talk about a pointless fucking death then look to the Falklands War, not Iraq.
The Falkland invasion was a war waged because Thatcher was losing in popularity ratings.

I happened to catch a bit of Graham Norton's show last night, by accident. I can't stand the bloke personally and don't find him all that funny.
He had Louis Walsh on from that Pop Idol bollocks.
Am I the only one who thinks he looks like either, a Christian Brother trying to look trendy, aPriest on holiday or a Headmaster on a school trip.
Open necked shirt, jacket, jeans and highly polished shoes.
Total wrongness.
The same as PE teachers on parents evening - Tracksuits and trainers disappear and all of a sudden they have a 'wardrobe'.
Parents expect you to look 'sporty', that's what they pay you for, you fucking 'Wooden Top'!
Male PE teachers in a suit always look like they have a court appearance.

As I type, my Beloved Spurs have gone 2 nil down..... Not a happy pixie.

7 comments:

Jinx said...

2:1

I am a chelsea fan. But i shall not gloat. :D

I agree in principle with what you're saying about dying for your country and all but some cases of death via friendly fire do need to be investigated and proper compensation paid. Damned Americans and their shoot 'em up attitude. Last time i checked warfare was not done GI Jane stylee.

Sleepy said...

Mmmmm...Chelsea.. LaLaLa, That's me pretending I didn't hear that!

Sleepy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schneewittchen said...

Ha! Yes! PE teachers on Parents' Evening! Do they keep a wardrobe full of clothes as worn by Lewis Collins in 'The Professionals' circa 1977 ? How come they all have access to these same clothes, I think we should be told....

And yes, men and women who serve their country and its ideals deserve our support, but they are doing the job they signed up to do and moneygrubbers dishonours their sacrifice.

LentenStuffe said...

Walsh ... a total wanker. My dad (who used to run dancehalls here in the day), rightly called him an 'errand boy'.

Don't agree with your Iraq position, which isn't too far off the Thatcher motivation in the Falklands, ie, cooked-up lies to send young persons to an early grave. All folly and no glory!

Sleepy said...

Lenten... I agree both wars are bollocks. It's the idea that compensation should be paid out that galls me!

LentenStuffe said...

On that score, yes. They've spent over $400 Billion on Iraq's Freedom already ... Quite the tab for another guy's franchise, so I can think of better uses for it: For one, I'd have gladly got myself together a posse and bounty hunted Saddam's ass for half of that -- Yes, I know, a bargain. I'd have used a couple a hundred million to pay off the Republican Guard, another couple to buy off the opposition, y'know fund the bad guys, buy them a few new toys that wouldn't work, etc. And the whole shebang would've been over in gig time. Then I'd buy that island off Samoa and start a coed rugby colony.