Thursday, March 08, 2007

Memory Lane



I will get the Housemate rant out of the way first.
Whoever put the FOUR fucking chips back in the freezer, what were you thinking?
That someone would come home and decide,
‘Oh, I think I’ll have egg and four fucking chips, no more and no less.’
Or perhaps use the 12 pasta shells left in the packet to bolster it up a bit?
Moron.

Today I went to Langstone Harbour.
It’s about 10 miles from Pompey and it’s where I grew up with my Grandparents.
I walked along the beach and went to the pond where we used to feed the ducks.
I carried on along the coast and visited my Grandfather’s grave.
It was so nice to go back to a place that is full of really happy childhood memories.
When we stopped living with the Grandparents the happy memories ended.
I had a drink at the Royal Oak and could almost see my sister, cousins and myself sat with our bottles of coke, with the crappy paper straws that collapsed in on themselves, along the wall outside.
We were never allowed to swig out of the bottle because it was ‘common darlings’.
My Grandfather also told us all sorts of animals had pissed all over the bottles while they were outside.
That put me off more than being thought common!

Tomorrow, I’m off to a funeral.
I’ve never been to a Nun’s funeral before but I’m guessing the ‘wake’ will be pretty tame.
Unusually, for a Bride of Christ, she wasn’t Irish so there probably won’t be a punch up either.
Most disappointing.
Thank all that is holy for the hip flask I got a couple of Christmas’s ago. I intend to fill it with Vodka, hopefully that will take the edge off the ‘bells and smells’.
By the way, I have chosen my outfit and I will be looking ‘particularly Shane’ tomorrow.
I even have a tie but haven't decided on the Homburg yet.

Those of you who say your prayers, please offer one up for Sister Teresa Clements DMJ.
She was one of the good ones.

5 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Perhaps the four chips thing is a religious thing, or maybe a cultural thing.

Lovely pic of Jess.

I remember you going all Shane for a prom at Mayhem a few years back, and a very good Shane it was too. Mind you, that was in the days before Shane, but still, same diff.

Prayers for Sister Theresa, done. I did feel a bit foolish though. Like the time I had to interview someone in German who had just spent ten years running her own business there, just to test that she could speak it. Then as now, I felt rather underwhelming and certainly not worthy.

Sleepy said...

If I can get a picture without my boat race in it, I'll give you a look at my 'funeral Shane'!

As for prayers for the Sister, every little helps!

Crisp-e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crisp-e said...

Ditto on pic, well done! Ditto on prayers.

Sassygril said...

Totally agree with Schnee on everything and now don't know what to say...

Other that to say that the pic of Jess is possibly one of your best. It is gorgeous. Absolutely adorable.

But I don't understand the whole Shane thing...sorry. I'll go and do more penance and prayers...