Monday, March 12, 2007

Chapters And Verse

I have had 5 hours sleep in the last 36 and I’m feeling distinctly strange!
Well, stranger than usual.
It’s all relative!
I am becoming more aware of that bizarre dimension you can only see occasionally, from the corner of your eye.
Inhabited by imaginary cats and blurred people.
I’m still not sure how wise it was to smoke a joint. Only time will tell with that one.
It’s definitely a smoke to make a ‘Music Mix’ on..
Might give that a go later.

During a spontaneous bout of text tennis with Sassy, I have come up with another chapter heading for the autobiography I will NEVER write.
It’s good fun.
Sometimes you hear or see things that are not, ‘The story of your life’, but close enough to be a chapter.

Today’s offering is,
“Leave off the nuts and I’d give it a lick”.
Brought about by a photo of an ice-cream van!
The others I have are,
“Louis, they have margarine at home”.
A line my Nan would utter with menace, when my Grandfather would start to complain about the amount of butter we put on toast. (It used to drip off!)
Margarine. Like Nits, Carol singing and TB, was something poor, common people had.
He also had an obsession with the amount of toilet roll we could use.
Which brings me to the next one.
“2 squares! 2 Squares! That’s all you need!”
According to him,
“Bloody Girls wound enough toilet paper around our fists to make a serviceable boxing glove!”
For some reason these just sum up my childhood.
I wouldn’t have a final chapter just this verse,

“It is my intention to die in a tavern;
May wine be placed to my dying lips
That when the choirs of angels shall come;
May they say, G-d be merciful to this drinker“.

I think it is a quote from Walter Map or someone as equally sound of mind.

If you can download it from somewhere, have a listen to ’I’m Just Another Soldier’, by the Staple Singers.
(I found it nearly impossible to get the version I wanted.)
I bet you play it twice.

Today, I have been mostly reading, Bernard Cornwell’s ‘The Winter King’.

8 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Hmmmm...now let me see, as I have said oft before, I read many medical websites, ergo am entirely qualified for triage.
1) Could be the beginnings of a migraine.
2) Could be your retina detaching itself.
3) The most scientific and thus most likely - it could be the otherworld breaking through.

If the last one, then the joint was prolly a grand idea.

Sleepy said...

Yeah, I'm more likely to go with 3 plus the lack of sleep!

Sassygril said...

Schnee's a genius. Option 3 so it is...

Sleepy said...

Lottery numbers in my peripheral vision would be a fucking result.

I already have cats and blurred people.

Must sort some new specs out...

Sassygril said...

Jesus, you'll be blind, you'll be blind!!! And we also had the thing about 2 pieces of toilet paper. Still feel extravagant if I go beyond rations...

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. It's an obsession of all men who pay for toilet roll in a house of women.

He did once suggest we all,
"Drip dry for a bit."
The look he got from my Nan meant that idea was swiftly dropped.

Schneewittchen said...

Argh, lost me comment again. Bugger. Anyway, what I was saying was, I remember the whole amount of bog roll obsession, but in our house it was to do with it blocking the plumbing. Dunno if plumbing was less robust in those days or the paper didn't break down so well.

LentenStuffe said...

Mighty craic!

Your grandfather sounds like my father with all this rationing of the jaxes-paper. I slag mine and tell him I now only use the softest baby wipes ...

"Don't you flush that shit down my shitter!" He yells.
"But where else am I supposed to flush it?"
Etc.

And this from a man who once hung about 60 used teabags on the clothesline to put off an undesirable boyfriend of my sister's.

Am reading The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Great tack.