Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunshine, Smalls And Spurs

It has been a gorgeous day today and the Ice Cream van has been out.
As soon as I hear the music I get this urge to run around looking for my Mum’s purse and still experience the panic that it might go before I get out there!

It felt like ATM took an eternity to get her purse open.
I’d hop from foot to foot, pleading,
“Quick! Quick! It’ll go..!”
My sister would be at the window shouting,
“It’s still there! It’s still there!”
Pure adrenaline rush. I can feel the tightening in my stomach right now!
I love cider lollies from the van. I hate ice cream. Always have done.
As a kid I used to hate holding an ice cream cone. They always melted and dripped off your elbow. I deliberately dropped them.
Fecking sticky, nastiness.
As soon as the lolly got to that unpredictable stage, where the bit that’s left could fall off the stick at any moment, I’d drop that fucker too.

I made the mistake of going in to the garden. The sun had caused a sudden blooming of colourful laundry in almost every garden along my road.*
A huge ‘Jackson Pollock’ expressed through fabric.
I find it mildly unsettling to see my neighbour’s underwear, ‘Free Range’, as it were.
Shirts and all that are fine, but pants/knickers are something I don’t want to know about.
Thongs? Eeeesh! I have some neighbours who are quite ‘broad in the beam’..
See? Now try and get that out of your head.
I’m cursed with an almost photographic memory and a vivid imagination.
You see my problem.

The sun also gives people an uncontrollable urge to wash their cars.
In my experience, this activity guarantees 2 things:
1. They will attempt to talk to you.
2. It will rain.
So it will be pissing down tomorrow.

My Beloved Spurs are continuing with their mission to put me in an early grave. 3-1 up at half time. Finished 3-3.
Berbatov is a football god.
Mido is a “Donkey”, according to crisp-e.
Neither of us were surprised at the result but at 3-1, there was that ‘triumph of hope over experience’ moment, and we dared to believe.
Ho Hum.. There is always the replay.
Nice win for the English Rugby team but I wasn’t inspired by them.
Some real talent for the future though.

*Except for Sassy. She would never display her smalls to the proles!

4 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

Eesh that took so bloody long to load up I can't remember what I was going to say.
Oh yes, you know how much I envy you for being allowed to put the washing out. We're not allowed to and it's STOOPID!!!
I used to love the ice-cream van coming round, Vericcia's (apologies about the spelling, not something I can look up) because they had the soft ice-cream, but not so much the Walls van because theirs was those little hard briquettes. A special treat was having a 99. Now I wouldn't dream of getting an ice-cream that wasn't a 99.

Sleepy said...

Verrechia's! Dagostino's do soft ice cream too.
I would have a 99, eat the flake, drop the rest.
A 'Witches Hat' was a Rocket Lolly with a cone stuffed on top. My cousin used to get those.
I thought he was a clever bastard getting 2 lots.

Sassygril said...

Damn straight about the smalls. I don't want people speculating, fantasysing or anything else around my lingerie thank you very much. That all stays locked away with no hint of parole. Yer knicks are a personal item and make an intimate as well as a pragmatic statement about you and how you see yourself (or not in some people's case). And I too have made the fashion blunder (speculate all you like...) and like most of us, don't have the luxury of simply binning the offending item. But I don't have to show them to the world now, do I?

And I love 99s too. With sauce was a special treat when i was a kid. And strawberry mivvies, choc ices and lollies with hundreds and thoudands...pure bliss.

Sleepy said...

'Fashion Blunder'?
Now I AM speculating! You WANTED me to be thinking about your "little bit of 'lastic and little bit of lace". Didn't you?
I'll let you know if it spills over in to fantasy! ;)