Thursday, March 01, 2007

Loss And Conscience

Last night I lost Sky One, Sky Two and Sky News from my choice of channels.
Virgin Media has taken over NTL. Somehow, I never even knew NTL had been bought until the deal was already done.
Sky now want more money, I suppose because it’s Virgin and Branson is richer than G-d, they thought they’d get it.
This is a huge pain in the arse because now I won’t be able to watch Lost or lust after Temp Brennan in Bones.
I still have Mariska Hargitay though. A bonus!
I may be sounding quite calm but I doubt it will last.

I’ve had to get rid of D the Dealer.
The fact that he rarely had anything to deal, when he did the deals were ’light’, smelled like a wet dog and was an ex pupil always pointed towards this being a short association.
We now have T the Dealer.
He speaks in complete sentences, doesn’t smell of anything and actually has something to sell.
So far, so good but I’m not getting my hopes up.
The police are having a raid fest around the city.

Watching Sharpe last night, I heard a line I wished I’d had in my repertoire while boarding with the Sisters of Perpetual Misery.
A woman had been kidnapped and was being forced into a convent.
The Nuns didn’t seem to mind she didn’t want to stay and there was some ‘grappling’.
Then she comes out with the line,
“Get away from me you Viperous Virgin!”
Beer came down my nose!
It would have been perfect for Sister Mary Bernadette.

To balance that out I’d just like to share this.
During the 70’s Sister Jeannine Gramick started ministering to the Gay and Lesbian community and speaking out for them.
Her order, the School Sisters Of Notre Dame, were told by Cardinal Ratzinger to silence her.
She wouldn’t be silenced claiming, instead, the Catholic concept of ‘The Primacy of Conscience’.

The Second Vatican council said, ‘.. one’s conscience is the divine voice echoing in our depths, as a law written by G-d on human hearts. A person must always obey the certain judgement of his or her conscience.’
So, the judgement of sinfulness is ultimately a matter best left to
G-d.
Primacy of Conscience is a ‘loophole’ in Church Law, a way for gay Catholics to get past the Church’s attitudes to Homosexuality.
Shame this isn’t mentioned more often. RE lessons would be a good start.

The Notre Dame sisters forced Sister Jeannine out of the order.
She ended up joining the Sisters of Loreto, who seem to be a touch more liberal.
She is still out there, doing her thing.
Fair play to her.

2 comments:

Sassygril said...

Is wet dog anything to do with 'dogging'? I think we need to know...

Sleepy said...

I doubt one could be discreet enough on a skateboard, to peer in car windows at shagging couples!