Monday, April 16, 2007

Yahrziet

This weekend was the anniversary of my Grandfathers death.
In Yiddish it is called Yahrziet, which translates as, 'Time Of Year'.
It is the time to light a special candle and commemorate him.

I remember the times I spent with him in the garden. I got him all to myself. So I chose to commemorate him by spending time outdoors.


Here's a taste of what I saw.























"When the sun sets on a perfect day, A day that has been one in a million.
Only a fool regrets that it's over, the day was here, now it's gone
And the wise person remembers the joy of that day, not the sadness of the sunset."
Miss you everyday Old Man. Vaya Con Dios.

5 comments:

LentenStuffe said...

Very special indeed.

I've been thinking about my own grandad a lot lately. He was the shortest member of his family at 6'5", and there were 9 of them. Plus, he was the third Michael in his family. The others had all died in childbirth and the parents persisted with the name.

Ah, memories. And good times.

Sassygril said...

Such a beautiful commemoration. I am sure that he would be touched. I've noticed that you seem to be most free when you photograph the external and especially the natural world. Some truly wonderful shots there, hon.

Crisp-e said...

Bravo mon ami. Your photos are going from strength to strength.

Sleepy said...

Lenten.. Must be some 'Norman' blood in your line!
Longshanks!
My Step Dad is 6'6" and my Big little Brother is 6'4". Their family arrived with the Norman conquest!

Sassy.. Thank you.

crisp-e.. Thank you too!.. I have a pot of assorted snails, nymphs, baby waterboat men, baby diving beetles and other wriggley creatures from the pond here, for yours.

Schneewittchen said...

Beautiful photos! Can't believe you found a salamander! And the bee! (That's a good sign)And the beautiful sunset. Egad, I sound like that turkey bloke.
Fabulous photies.
Fröhliche Yahrzeit Pampam.