Monday, April 20, 2009

Like The Deserts Miss The Rain

I’ve felt pretty miserable today.
I have a crick in my neck that Diazepam aren’t touching and it is the anniversary of my Grandmother’s death.
She has been gone twenty six years.
I can honestly say that there hasn’t been a single day when I haven’t thought about her or missed her.
I’ve never forgotten the look on my uncle’s face when I opened the door to him.
Being sent to my room and hearing the unnatural screaming when he told Mum the news.
I’ve never forgotten that ATM wouldn’t let me go to the funeral or even have the day off school as my sister did.
Or that when I cried with the grief I was whacked repeatedly as she screamed, “You’ve only lost a Grandmother, I’ve lost a Mother!”
Anyone brought up by and with their Grandparents will understand just how devastating that sentence is.
She broke something between us that day and I never felt the same about her ever again.
Thirteen years old and I knew my Mother was a monster.

I’m going to cheer myself up by going to Ikea tomorrow. I don't really want to buy anything but I will be robbing a couple of their big yellow shopping bags.
Got idea for their use in the garden.

This was my Nan’s song and makes me think of her every time I hear it, no matter the version.

3 comments:

Schneewittchen said...

That, however, was a GREAT version. I'm wondering whether the chipmunks' version would quite cut it, and yet....point taken.

I'll bet your nan's still looking out for you.

Sleepy said...

I can sing it in that style only!
If anyone else has a go and changes the phrasing it really fucks me up!

Still get the smell of her perfume every now and then and that has been discontinued for over 20 years!

Some Chilean Woman said...

Very touching Sleepy. It's sad that those closest to you can hurt you the most, I never understood why...

Hugs your way.