Saturday, May 12, 2007

Balloons and Books

The funniest thing I have seen today was a bloke trying to ram 10 Helium filled balloons into the boot of his car, in a fecking gale and horizontal rain.
I stood and watched which, I think, made it worse for him because he got all panicked and nearly lost a couple.

The funniest thing I have read today is in Shotts Food and Drink Miscellany and it is, ‘how to clean Ostrich feathers‘.
Brilliant! I don’t know if this info will ever be useful but it’s still nice to know.

I love those types of books. Books of ‘information’.
Dictionaries, encyclopaedias, thesauri, (I’m assuming that’s the plural!) books of lists, dates and quotations.
I love ‘em!
I have quite a serious second hand book habit and have had to ban myself from Amazon.
I’ll read anywhere, even if it is just for 2 minutes and always have a book in my bag.
I don’t know who said this but it’s one of my favourite book quotes.

‘Second hand books are wild books, homeless books; they come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which domesticated volumes of the library lack.’

ATM used to object to me reading at the dining table and I was forced to read the labels of the sauces and stuff on the table.
It was totally different at my Grandparent’s house; there it was almost law to read at the table.
At breakfast it would be a selection of Newspapers and we were expected to discuss an article we had read with my Grandfather.
He would then make us look for the same story in another paper and tell him the differences in the way it had been reported.
My sister hated this; she would sit and cry until he’d send her to my Nan, where miraculously the tears would stop.
I adored it.

I’d just like to say, it’s no wonder they aren’t any closer to finding the girl in Portugal, they’re in fucking church praying for her all the time! Not going to find her in there are they?
In fact, it’s starting to get right on my tits now.
This whole emotional outpouring. Yellow ribbons, Masses etc.
All bollocks.
Just the relief of other people who have left their kids for ‘just 15 minutes’.
Also, has anyone else noticed how the distances have increased?
When it was first reported they were in a restaurant 20 metres away, today it was 50m.



12 comments:

Sassygril said...

Where the books are concerned, I refer you to a previous blog of mine :-)

My mum used to read bits of the Daily Express to me at breakfast. It was great. Combined two of my favourite activities, eating and being told a story.

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. I love my books, they are my babies!

A lot of people love being read to, I hate it. It's always too slow for me!

Schneewittchen said...

I'm totally with you on not being without a book. I HATE being caught in the supermarket queue or waiting anywhere without something to read.

In fact, my constant search for the perfect bag is based on the need to have a bag just big enough for a paperback.

Sleepy said...

I know someone else who is on a similar bag quest but not for book purposes, more for the, 'they go with these shoes perfectly' quest!

LentenStuffe said...

Hell = No books for all eternity.

Incurable bibliomania is bliss ... But what's wrong with people who have no books in their home? Are they to be trusted?

I'm with you on the Portuguese fiasco/debacle. That's the worst cut of all -- your child. Unspeakable horror!

Schneewittchen said...

Lenten - you are more right than you may know. When the social services that we had to liaise with would go round to the homes of problem kids, in almost all cases there were no books or other reading material in the homes.

Sleepy - I forgot when we were discussing important things on your birthday - there was a two-part Ghost Whisperer all about the 11th of May. Not sure whether you get them at the same time as us or not. The second ep of that was shown on your birthday.

Sassygril said...

Schnee, that's fascinating about the families the kids and the lack of books. I've had builders and others come into homes I've had and make comment about the amount of books I've got as if I were some kind of pervert...with my ex hubbies kids, we got so fed up with their lives being dominated by screens that we banned them for a short period to see what would happen. It was bliss and they reverted to the nice people they are.

Sassygril said...

Lenten, I cannot relate to people who have no books. Its as if there is a hole where their soul, brain, intellectual and emotional intestines should be.

It's the first thing I look for when I go into someone's home for the first time - books then CDs and possibly DVDs. All you need to know is there!

Sassygril said...

Lenten, I cannot relate to people who have no books. Its as if there is a hole where their soul, brain, intellectual and emotional intestines should be.

It's the first thing I look for when I go into someone's home for the first time - books then CDs and possibly DVDs. All you need to know is there!

LentenStuffe said...

Sassy,

Me too. I remember being so impressed with someone I'd written off to find an entire shelf of First Editions from Nadine Gordimer. I was suitably humbled. Then I was in an old farmhouse and found books by Donoso, Asturias and Amado. I couldn't believe that one.

The first thing my brother does when he enters a person's house for the first time is to ask,
"OK, where do you keep your private correspondence?'

Sleepy said...

lenten... Your Brother is the man!
Imagine what Josie will walk in and ask to see!!
I can't wait for those stories!

MelJolieNME said...

Oh sleepy, I can't tell you how right on you are I will read anything anytime anywhere, and never leave home without my book. Even while the dog is taking a pee.