Saturday, May 26, 2007

Queen

Last night I became a Monarchist for a few hours.
The Grandfather would have being spinning in his grave!

We bought ‘The Queen’ on pay per view.
I was absolutely determined I was going to hate every minute, but I lost the housemate vote, yet a-fucking-gain!
I loved the film. I know it is ‘propaganda’ but I loved it.
Prince Philip IS my Grandfather!
His answer to everything was to take the ‘boys’ out for a walk and shoot something!
This is the kind of, spit and Vaseline as a ‘cure all’ man, that I grew up with.
My favourite line was spoken by the Queen,
“No guns Phillip, it is Sunday!”
Brilliant!
The kind of thing my Granddad would do and the kind of thing my Grandmother would say!

The film reminded me why I voted Labour and for Tony Blair, all those years ago.
It also brought home to me that there may have been a purpose to Diana’s death.
If she hadn’t died, her life and impact on the ‘world’ would never have been addressed.
Nothing within the ‘Royal Firm’ would have been looked at or modernised, without the events in Paris.
Her son would NEVER have had the chance to be a ‘Modern King’, without her death, nothing would have changed.

Those who know me well know I am a squinny.
For those of you who don’t know the word, that means, I cry easily.
Only in front of those I ‘Trust’, and am happy in their company.
Some have accused me of keeping my bladder behind my eyes.
For a long, long time I thought this was a ‘weakness’.
Until I was trained that this wasn’t the case. That in fact, to show emotion was a strength.
To ‘show your arse’ as my Dad would say, is very brave.
But still, only a few get that from me.

The Queen was slated for not showing that kind of emotion.
I felt for her, I know how difficult it is.
We know she ‘misjudged’ her people back then, but she made it right.
She did good.
I am now, an Elizabeth II fan.
Don’t fuck with my Monarch! She Rocks!

3 comments:

Sassygril said...

It's great, isn't it? I've not seen all of it as my viewing occurred on a plan back from Singers when I was horribly unwell. I have to say that I wasn't and am not a Diana fan. Whilst I thought that she had a certain amount of balls, and certainly championed some unfashionable causes, towards the end of her life I thought that she was an hysterical narcissist. I was shocked by her death - as I think everyone was - but I'm not sure if I agree with your analysis. And actually, I'd vote for the queen as a head of state over any of the self serving twats in politics in our country. With the possible exception of Gordo.

Sleepy said...

sassy.. Because of her death 'They' had to change. What else would have brought about those changes?

Schneewittchen said...

It was an amazing film. And for me it did capture the feeling of hope in the country and then the shock. It was an amazingly balanced film too. Loved it. Loved Helen (of course). Made me proud to be British - although when you live abroad, you pretty much feel that all the time.