Friday, May 25, 2007

The Day We Went To London

It’s not until I get to London that I remember just how much I hate it there.
We walked from Waterloo to Covent Garden and went for a pint in the Punch and Judy pub.
“Arse Rape,” my Big little brother replied when I pointed out the price of the drinks.
We stood out on the balcony and played guess the nationality of the school groups.
Which was not as easy as it used to be. Europe is definitely becoming more ethnically diverse.
One group, we were convinced were Italian because of their ‘high tans’, turned out to be Germans!
I find checking out the staff is usually a good indicator.
We were all surprised to see that they were just allowed to go off on their own.
My brother joined us when we took the last lot of Mayhem kids to New York and said,
“Fucking Hell! Can you imagine letting the Mayhem lot loose here!”
Sadly, I could.
The arrests, the shoplifting and the fighting. Made me shudder and thank all that’s holy I’m out of that game.


We got the tube to Shepherd’s Bush. Actually I should call it the underground sauna.
We were rammed in like cattle and the temperature had to have been over 100 degrees.
I was rammed into my brother’s armpit and was hanging onto his waist to stay upright.
I suppose I was lucky it was a family armpit, the little Japanese man hanging onto me wasn’t so lucky.
I was sure he had his eyes screwed shut at one point trying to stop time, but he could also have been avoiding me dripping sweat on him!
London Underground has gone one better than the Nazi’s and combined the packed trains WITH the ovens.


The gig itself was absolutely amazing.
I’ve only been to one better and that was when Pink Floyd played when the Berlin Wall came down.
If you get the chance to see Rodrigo y Gabriela I urge you to go. Even if you have to do a bit of travelling to get there.
You will be amazed at what they can do with a couple of classical guitars.
Their version of Stairway To Heaven is the prettiest you will ever hear but they topped that with Floyd’s ‘Wish You We Here’.
The whole of the Empire sang it to them. It was one of those ‘hair stands up’ moments and I got quite tearful!
Our Grandfather played Flamenco guitar and both of us said how much he would have loved to have been there.
I believe that because we were thinking it, somehow he was.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhVpIlc1vs&mode=related&search
This is one of my favourite tracks from their album. Reminds me of the ‘Old Man’ so much.
This caught my eye. It's not everyday you see an eight foot unicycle! But it begs the question why the lock? Who the fuck would steal that?


Would all of you who say your prayers offer one up for Housemate Claire. She was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday and if there is anybody who doesn’t deserve it, it’s her.
I am devastated.
Lord, in your mercy.


A very Happy Birthday to Mrs Crisp-e today!




11 comments:

Sassygril said...

Claire is going to be fine. She will be so well looked after medically and at home. It's completely arse that this illness should affect someone so lovely, but she will want for nothing. It seems as though it has been caught in time and has not spread - a small mercy but an important one. I don't do an awful lot of praying, and I am out of practice, but I'll offer one up.

Sleepy said...

Thank you. Every little helps!

LentenStuffe said...

A wonderful read.

Sorry to read about your friend. She'll be in our prayers.

Crisp-e said...

It's completely arse that this illness should affect anyone! I am gutted. It is of some consolation that research has advanced and there are new drugs available that can 'starve' the cancer of a blood supply, specifically breast cancers. I too do not pray, but I will keep her in my thoughts and it goes without saying that she has my ultimate support.

Sleepy: glad you had a good time in Londinium.

Sleepy said...

Lenten & Crisp-e.. Thanks guys.

Claire is being really positive but also very realistic.
She has another appointment next Thursday and I'm going with her.

Sassygril said...

That's good you're going with her next week. Just keep me posted...

Sleepy said...

Sassy... I text you. 'Clan Gathering' tomorrow!

Sorry! You is in the 'Clan' and you haven't seen Chez Crisp-e yet! So, you are in.
I know I came to get you the other night and I must just say your Night Attire is a worry, but I will skip that...... Hehehe! ... Maybe I won't!

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. I truly was expecting thigh high boots and some sort of chastisement!
The sensible dressing gown and cup of tea kinda ruined it for me!!
Although, I'm sure you are breathing a sigh of relief!
Hehehehe!

Schneewittchen said...

Eek, that's so horrible, look out for her Sleepy, don't let them mutilate her, which they will do without a second thought that this is a human being, a woman.

Yeah, London is swings and roundabouts innit. I wish we had even a tenth of the public transport here that we have in London, but oh boy, do you get to know everyone's body smells on the tube in the hot weather. Glad the gig was good.

Schneewittchen said...

Oh and Happy Birthday to Chelle!

Sassygril said...

There is nothing wrong with my night attire! What were you expecting? Come hither flighty nighties and something slinky over the top? And you forgot to mention my sexy slippers. Tsk.