Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Hope And Thoughts Of Sleep

It’s been a few days coming, but all the bad press the Portuguese have been having about the handling of the kidnap case has got to them.
At last the Portuguese Media have brought up what the rest of the world seem too afraid to mention and what the rest of us are thinking.

What the fuck were the parents thinking, leaving three kids under the age of 3 on their own?
Even if they were being checked on every 15 minutes.
Would they fuck off out to a restaurant and leave the kids if they were at home?
They would be being prosecuted as we speak if they had.
It’s all extremely sad, but come on, we know that kid is dead and there is no getting away from the fact that the parents fucked off and left them.
Checking them every fifteen minutes is bollocks.
EVERY single parent I know, at some point during their child’s life has said to me,
“2 minutes. I was distracted for 2 minutes and he/she was gone, was in the road, had flooded the bathroom, drawn on the wall, drowned the hamster etc….”
In fifteen minutes my sister’s kids could have done a partial demolition of a three bedroom house.
H the Nephew, could have done 2 rooms on his own and actually started on one!
I do pray to all that is holy that she is returned unharmed but sadly, I won’t be holding my breath.

My insomnia, ironically, gives me a lot of extra hours to think about sleep.
I have been wondering if how you were laid in a cot, has any influence on how you sleep as an adult.
For example.
I lay on my stomach, right arm under the pillow facing to the left. One leg on top of the covers.
Others I know, choose a particular side to sleep on. Very few have ever said they fall asleep laid on their back.
ATM says she used to wrap us up tight in a blanket so we couldn’t move about too much and therefore go to sleep.
‘Swaddling’ was the actual word she used.
The moment she said it, I felt short of breath and constricted. The same feeling I get if I am twisted up in the duvet or sheets.

Then, if you share a bed, there is the choice of which side to sleep on. I prefer near the window but away from the door.
I’m sure everybody in the world must use the meeting point of the pillows as the demarcation line down the centre of the bed, that unseen border between the sovereign realms of, ‘My Side’ and ‘Your Side‘.
Just like everyone agrees where the Equator is.
I also believe that, no matter what language you speak, you have said through gritted teeth,
“Get.. Over.. Your.. Own.. Fucking.. Side!”
Possibly accompanied with a kick or strategic elbow ‘nudge’.
Usually due to an argument or an extremely hot night.

5 comments:

Sassygril said...

Dunno if you watch Channel 4 News, but this issue was raised. Apparently an article in The Times suggested that the parents of this child did what many others do when on holiday or at home. This unleashed a huge response that basically suggested this was highly irresponsible. I have to say that even in a gentler era of the 1960s and 70s my folks would never have left me at home alone or with similarly young siblings. And I wouldn't either. But hey, no-one should have taken the little girl either and that's the true crime here.

LentenStuffe said...

My required daily reading. You've got the right stuff.

You're right. 15 minutes is enough to invade and overthrow Portugal!

Schneewittchen said...

I believe we should invade and overthrow Portugal. Their Old Bill should get off their backsides and be all over this or we send in the gunships. At the very least we should withdraw our tourist trade. I don't care whether they think the parents are at fault, they should just pull their collective finger out and find the kid!

The Portuguese really pissed me off last year by lending one of their mankiest planes to JMC and which I had the misfortune to fly across the Atlantic in. Never thought it would make it.

I suppose Ferdinand de Magellan was a bit of a hero though.

Sleepy said...

I'm partial to Madeira and Port, so I'm up for an invasion!

Crisp-e said...

Very sad indeed. Nothing in the article I saw on BBC suggested that they were not doing their best to look for that little girl, have I missed something? Lets not forget our own fair isle's policing mishaps. Especially when it comes to finding lost children or letting the odd serial killer slip through the net. Peter Sucliffe would have been stopped sooner if it were not for the closed minded tactics of the investigating officer and the general disorganisation of the Yorkshire police (no offence to ye up-North!).