Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cactus And Cleaners

Every now and then I get one of those emails that go around.
Read the questions, delete the ones already there, put yours in and send it on.
One of the questions that always seems to come up is, ‘favourite flower?’
My answer is always ‘the cactus in my bathroom that occasionally flowers’.
It appears to be one of those occasions.
It just sits there for years on end not appearing to be up to much, then all of a sudden,
“TA DA!”
It gets my grin on EVERY time I see it!


I have finished series 2 of ‘Shameless’!
I haven’t laughed as much in ages. I have series 3, 4 and 5 to go as well, because of all that Sky/Virgin bollocks it’s one of those ‘on demand’ deals I get for not going over to Sky.
Well worth losing Bones for!

The bits I recognise from growing up are SO real and extremely well done.
Moving the pissed up Dad’s body out of the way so the rest of the family can enjoy the day, really resonated!
Finding him passed out in the pub.
Finding him battered in the pub.
Finding him unconscious in the street.
Hiding pocket money, birthday money any money really.
Hiding from debt collectors.
Fights with the neighbours, who hated him!
Him disappearing for days at a time playing cards
BUT
Christ, did we laugh!
He said the funniest things.
He never hit us.
We were hugged and told we were loved.
We had the loudest parties, with raucous singing.
And of course, as he often slurred at us,
He’d die for ‘every fucking, pain in the arse, bastard one of us‘.
Bless him!
I loved going to my Dad’s, got me away from the Rapist and the Nutter.
At my Dad’s I wasn’t ‘Weird’ or ‘Hyperactive’, I just fitted in.
“There’s nothing wrong with you Babe, you’re just one of us! Your Mother’s lot can’t cope with that! It’s like sheep trying to raise a wolf!”

Mrs Next Door is now noticeably pregnant and she’s got a cleaner,
‘Just ‘til the baby comes’.
All well and good.
I’ve seen the cleaner three times now and each time she is cleaning the outside of the kitchen windows.
In four years of neighbour-ness I have NEVER seen Mrs Next Door clean the windows.
Ever.
Being my Father’s daughter I can immediately see the problem with this scenario and hear his voice clearly,
“Easy Babe!
You’re going to have to stop her doing that. Himself* will notice and YOU’LL have to do it when he stops the cleaner.
Are you fucking mental? Making work for yourself.”


*In Dad’s head that would be the ‘lazy, useless twat that has got himself tucked up with my girl. She’s TOO fucking good for him. C**T!’
Reverse the gender and it works the same for my brother.

5 comments:

LentenStuffe said...

That's it. 'Shameless' it is. I need that tack.

Schneewittchen said...

Shameless IS shameless. Fiona went off to be Queen Elizabeth the first and Kev was in Doctor Who last week as Shakespeare. And Steve - well he's been in all sorts of course. Great, great prog.

That's one of those cactuses where the flower looks unreal, like someone's stuck a paper flower in it.

Cleaning windows certainly is one of those jobs. You get to a point where they don't seem to get any dirtier.
I say that, but there are a couple of windows in our house that you can't get to because of the bug screens and it drives me crazy. Well, crazier.

Sleepy said...

Life is too short to clean windows!

Sassygril said...

Wonderful photo. It's now really made me appreciate home. In Honkers now. Very hot.

But no women in floor length veils. That was starting to get to me in a big way. Esp when hubby was in western jeans and t shirt.

Sleepy said...

I'm off to Wilts. Marlborough Jazz Festival this weekend!

Not quite Hong Kong!