Friday, July 13, 2007

Hungry And Jazz

Housemate Claire and I often discuss who the definitive ‘Dr Who’ is. This usually goes with age.
Whoever was the Doctor when you were a kid is generally your ‘definitive’.
I grew up with Tom Baker as the Doctor and as it happens he was the best!
Then I started thinking about other things that define your childhood and ended up with the question,
‘Where the fuck has Biafra gone?’ In fact where the fuck was it in the first place?
My childhood ‘famine’ place was Ethiopia.
If we left anything on our plates ATM and the Grandmother would bang on about ’Starving Biafrians’.
I thought it was some made up species, like Vulcans or Klingons.
I have since witnessed my sister shouting at her kids about ’Starving Ethiopians’.
I wonder what her kids will be shouting at theirs.
‘You’re not leaving that, there are people starving in France’.
Actually, that’s a little fantasy of mine!

During the lunchtime news I found myself hoping that Victoria Beckham was epileptic.
All those camera flashes, someone should have dropped to the floor break dancing and swallowing their tongue.
If I see HER one more time it might be me.
I think it was the line, ’they arrived amid a carefully managed media frenzy’, that fucked me off.
How does that work then?
How do you have a ’managed frenzy’?

I am in Wiltshire this weekend.
It’s the Marlborough Jazz Festival! A brilliant day spent drinking around different venues in Marlborough town centre, listening to jazz music from around the world.
I’ll gen you all up on Sunday, hopefully with photos.

6 comments:

Sassygril said...

I was sitting next to a young woman at lunch and we got round to talking about David Beckham. Remember, this is in HK. She was quite up front that she knew nothing about football, and cared even less but Becks was def hot. I then asked her what she and her mates made of Posh. The received wisdom is that she is mad and they don't get the attraction. Does this sound familiar?

More interestingly, I've been over here 3 times in a year and I have yet to see one billboard or other advert featuring the golden one. I am sure that they exist, but maybe just maybe he isn't all that. This is my dream peeps...

Sleepy said...

She is hideous!
What is that thing she does with her mouth when the cameras are around!

Sassygril said...

I think that was also the opinion of my lunch pal. You would have thought that her best friend would have told her...

Schneewittchen said...

They're both fucking hideous.

The best Dr. Who is David Tennant. He is the Doctor that the part was made for, he is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Ah yes, how well I remember starving Biafrans. I didn't starve them myself mind. Just contributed a little to global warming so that wherever they are now, their misfortune will be worse.

Enjoy your jazz festival. At least it's not a fecking folk festival which we seem to currently be lame enough to be enduring here at the moment.

Sassygril said...

Euw, folk...nasty. All ratty woollen jumpers and matching music. Nasty.

You are worth so much more, Schnee. Get the disco ball out and dance round your handbag, you know it makes sense.

Schneewittchen said...

Innit!