Monday, July 30, 2007

News, Stripping And Marrow

I think me and my paper ‘fugee are going to fall out, I’ve already had a bit of a shout.
He looked blank and nodded a lot.
The ‘Final’ of the local paper is out early afternoon.
I used to get it about 3.30pm.
It’s now regularly arriving at 7.30pm.
That’s too late.
To me, it’s old news by then and I don’t want to read it. I’m the same if someone reads it before me. I used to get ‘ragey’ about that.
It’s MY paper, I get to go first.
I’m a lot better since I started reading the national papers online.
But the one that comes through the door, is mine.

I’ve been back out at the railings.
Remember those?
The ones I started stripping months ago.
I can no longer use ‘shitty weather’ and ‘injury’ as an excuse not to do it.
Curses!
Thanks to Sassy the Stripper for her help today.
You need to see her in her yellow ‘marigolds’.
It’s a vision from G-d people, I’m telling you, a vision from G-d.

I’ve learned today, that cutting a marrow in half, is a two person job and if one is stoned, a three person endeavour.
There are hidden perils.
Like a wafer thin half and a fat fucker half.
It’s like that old recipe for Jugged Hare that begins,
“First, catch your Hare”.
Mmmmm.
Slightly more complicated than first anticipated.
Thus went my experience with Stuffed Marrow.
From raw they take fecking ages to bake.
Another surprise.
For something so full of water.
My Grandmother used to whip one up in minutes, or so it seemed.
This bastard was in there an hour and a half and still wasn’t quite done when I dished it up, but I was hungry.
I roasted it with plums from the tree (that I thought was an apple tree for 4 years) in the garden, they were lovely and sweet.

3 comments:

Sassygril said...

Hmmm, I've never done stuffed marrow, but it is something I love to eat.

And there's nothing like a Marigold glove...nothing.

Sassygril said...

It's the firm snap of rubber that does it. It gives you that Margot Ledbetter (The Good Life) feeling of domination, purity and a certain kind of strident womanliness.

And you don't get a lot of that nowadays...

Sleepy said...

Strident Womanliness!
Love it!