Monday, January 07, 2008

Nuns, Germs And Curry

I feel like I’ve had a productive day considering that to, ‘the untrained eye’, it looks like I do fuck all!

The book I ordered from Amazon arrived at 11am and I’d finished it by 2.30pm.
Not bad going.
From it I learnt a new word, ‘Exclaustration’.
This is the permission given to a Nun, still under vows, to live outside of her community temporarily. She would be under the jurisdiction of the local bishop rather than her Order’s Superior.
I knew someone like that and she was SO cool she was subzero!
The book was called ‘Lesbian Nuns - Breaking The Silence’.
Stop yourselves!

It’s not as prurient as it sounds, it was really interesting and in a lot of the cases, extremely sad.
For some of them the vow of chastity was no problem, it was what they had signed on for; the real problem seemed to be the lack of ANY physical contact AT ALL.
Not a hug, a handshake or a matey slap on the back ever again.
Catholics usually come from huge, touchy feely, families.
To suddenly have absolutely nothing must be horrific. A basic form of torture. Couple that with another basic torture, lack of sleep, is it any wonder some of these women had breakdowns.
It has made me reconsider my attitude to some of the bitches who beat the crap out of me!

The Tame Pharmacist has interesting news from the forward trenches of the NHS.
There has been a 300% rise in the number of people using their own pen to sign the back of their prescriptions.
They don’t want to touch a shared pen.
It seems the horror stories about the spread of MRSA and the Norovirus are hitting home.

I cooked up a storm.
Minced lamb curry, with tomatoes, peppers, apricots and sultanas.
For something I made up as I went along it was pretty damn tasty!
The chilli turned out to be hotter than first anticipated and I am now expecting a swarm of Arse Wasps in the morning.
Not my favourite experience.

11 comments:

Ana Jurney said...

the book sounds quite interesting. Have you heard of a somewhat related book called Underneath the Veil??

Ana Jurney said...

well...the title was something like that...maybe Behind the Veil...or something....i think we both know what's underneath the veils.... :)

Schneewittchen said...

Don't go there, just.....don't go there....

Schneewittchen said...

The best thing to do with lamb is to chilli it up so hot you can't taste it anymore.

Sleepy said...

Ana... I think it is just called, 'Unveiled: The Hidden Lives of Nuns'..
After reading this one, I'll hit the secondhand book shops for it.

Schnee.. Hahaha! You know me too well my friend.

Sassygril said...

I love your made up recipes. It's something I just don't have the confidence or creativity to manage. I also find it strange that people get all antsy about a shared pen. Jesus, we've become a nation of right wimps. Butch up I say!

Sleepy said...

Sassy.. You are getting the 'refinement' of my made up recipes!

My poor Grandfather endured some horrors while I was 'learning'.
He never forgot the horrific Boiled Egg Curry I made in 1984!
It was the most hideous thing I have ever tasted and he made me eat it, claiming that it was part of my learning process!
He was right.

When I was at Mayhem and having to lend pens to kids. I used to paint the tops of them with that 'stop biting your nails' stuff.
Kept my pens out of their germ filled, foul mouths!

Sassygril said...

Ooooh, boiled egg curry...now that would go either way. No middle ground for that particular dish! Hugh Fernly Wittinwhatsit says that you should eat a good portion of whatever it is that you are cooking and I think he's right.

On an allied note...I now have a new crapper with a very posh seat which has a slow closing lid. Sadly the old one is in the front garden which is rapidly looking like a rag and bone yard.

Sleepy said...

Ahhh.. I can see the chapter heading now.....

Sassy - The Steptoe Years.

Did they smash up the pan or can it be used as a flower pot?

Sassygril said...

No, both bits are in tact! Do feel free to come and claim a piece of toilet before everyone wants one!

Sleepy said...

I think I will use the rear of the houses rather than be seen robbing Sassy Steptoe's forecourt!